MATCH, INDEX or LOOKUP

RankinC

Board Regular
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some help with a query I have. I'm currently drafting a quick spreadsheet, this will consist of 2 tabs. The first tab will list such information as "permit holders name", "date" as well as a "permit number"; the person can appear on this tab on numerous occassions, however the permit number will be unique.

Tab 2 will consist of all our permit holders, email address then the permit numbers they have been issued by our company. The permit numbers will go from column H to FF, with around 140 rows of permit holder names.

What i'm hoping to do is create a column on tab 1 that cross references the permit holders name (column C) against the corresponding name on tab 2 (column A), returning a value of "yes" or "no" dependent if that permit was issued to that person.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help

Chris

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
why do the numbers go from h to ff on tab 2

so the names are unique and so are the numbers

will they actually get issued with 155 different numbers per employee

Upvote 0
In addition to the above questions, maybe something like...=if(iserror(match(cell-with-permit-number,range-with-all-permits,0)),"No","Yes")

Upvote 0
why do the numbers go from h to ff on tab 2

so the names are unique and so are the numbers

will they actually get issued with 155 different numbers per employee

The numbers (permits) are unique, so for each person i've entered them individually as I didn't think a search function would be able to pick up a range in one cell (i.e. entering 100-500).

And yes, all numbers are unqiue as well as the individual numbers. One employee could be issued with 25 permits, whilst another could be issued with 125.

Cheers

Upvote 0
In addition to the above questions, maybe something like...=if(iserror(match(cell-with-permit-number,range-with-all-permits,0)),"No","Yes")

Thanks FDibbins,

That worked if the range was set for the individual person. If its possible, the idea is that the range would cover everything on Tab 2 rather than an indivdual line

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back