Extract information from a table that meet certain criteria

Kyletok

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me accomplish something I am trying to get ready for work.

essentially I am trying to do what ExcelIsFun accomplished in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bGKhbUYOas&t=1s

I tried to do what he did but I kept getting #REF , I wanted to download his worksheet and play with it but I am using Excel 2016, and his files are not compatible.

What I am trying to do is this: I want to have a table that will take information from another table that meets a certain criteria.
so in a cell I will have a data validation list for the 5 main stores, and depending on what store is in that cell, the table will update with all the rows that meet the criteria (where the store is that what is in the cell). its similar to Advance Filter but I am trying to make it so the people who use it will only have access to information about those 5 stores, since the main table has a lot more stores that are not relevant to the people I am preparing this sheet for, and I want this sheet to take information from an excel file I will upload to our drive, so its important what they have will always be able to update incase we add another row for one of the 5 stores in the master list.

there are other reasons and things I am planning to do once I figure out how to create this table.

example:

NamePurchase
ArielExample Item1
Alona
Example Item2
ArielExample Item3
ArielExample Item4
ScottExample Item5

<tbody>
</tbody>

so the above is the master table, and in the lookup cell I type "Ariel", so the new table I am working on should then automatically change to this.

NamePurchase
ArielExample Item1
ArielExample Item3
ArielExample Item4

<tbody>
</tbody>

I know its possible since the guy did it in the video, but I'm not sure if its possible using the tables in excel 2016.

regardless, when I tried to do what the guy did above, I got #REF .
if anyone has anything like this for excel 2016, please send it to me so i can see how it works and try to edit it.

thanks everyone!

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
If you already have the DV list created and working, the rest is a (relatively) simple process.

I am not able to view images, so assuming your data looks something like this...
A​
B​
C​
1​
NameBlah1Blah2
2​
aa
10​
15​
3​
bb
10​
15​
4​
cc
10​
15​
5​
aa
10​
15​
6​
bb
10​
15​
7​
cc
10​
15​
8​
aa
10​
15​
9​
bb
10​
15​
10​
cc
10​
15​
11​
aa
10​
15​
12​
bb
10​
15​
13​
cc
10​
15​

With your DV in E1...
E​
F​
G​
H​
1​
aaNameBlah1Blah2
2​
aa
10​
15​
3​
aa
10​
15​
4​
aa
10​
15​
5​
aa
10​
15​
6​
F2=IFERROR(INDEX(A:A,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$13=$E$1,ROW($A$2:$A$13)),ROWS($A$1:A1))),"")
This is an ARRAY formula, entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try to enter the {} manually yourself.
Adjust ranges as needed
Then just copy don and across as needed

Upvote 0
that works when I use a simple range like A1:A13, but is it possible to use a table column as the range?
the data im pulling is from a large table of data and I would like for it to find everything in the name column which will always be updated with new entries.

Upvote 0
sorry, I checked and it sure can! thank you so much. that is one step forward.

could you type out the formula for if I were to look for 2 criterias? lets say I was looking for "aa" and any value that is above 15 in another column.

Upvote 0
Sure :0

New data sat...
A​
B​
C​
1​
NameBlah1Blah2
2​
aa
10​
5​
3​
bb
20​
10​
4​
cc
30​
15​
5​
aa
40​
20​
6​
bb
50​
25​
7​
cc
60​
30​
8​
aa
70​
35​
9​
bb
80​
40​
10​
cc
90​
45​
11​
aa
100​
50​
12​
bb
110​
55​
13​
cc
120​
60​

E1 and E2 contain the criteria
E​
F​
G​
H​
1​
aaNameBlah1Blah2
2​
15​
aa
40​
20​
3​
aa
70​
35​
4​
aa
100​
50​
5​
F2=IFERROR(INDEX(A:A,SMALL(IF(($A$2:$A$13=$E$1)*($C$2:$C$13>=$E$2),ROW($A$2:$A$13)),ROWS($A$1:A1))),"")
still ARRAY entered then copied ad needed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This works thank you!

haha I hope you don't mind me asking for one more thing.

can I combine a few rows depending on criterias? ill give you an example.

NameLocationNumber of Stores
AAToronto2
AAPhiladelphia 3
BBToronto2
AAToronto4
BBOttawa1

<tbody>
</tbody>

and lets say I did what I tried to do in the previous comments, however this time it will combine the number of stores in the ones in the same location. and the result would be something like this if I was looking for AA

AAToronto6
AAPhiladelphia 3

<tbody>
</tbody>

as you can see it combined Toronto.

I imagine this would be harder I hope someone is able to help me out with this.

Upvote 0
See if you can adapt this to your needs. I took a different approach, based on your last request.
A​
B​
C​
1​
2​
AAToronto2
3​
AAPhiladelphia3
4​
BBToronto2
5​
AAToronto4
6​
BBOttawa1

For the extract/summary...
E​
F​
G​
1​
2​
AAToronto
6​
3​
AAPhiladelphia
3​
4​
BBToronto
2​
5​
BBOttawa
1​
E2=IFERROR(INDEX(A$2:A$6,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIFS($E$1:E1,$A$2:$A$6,$F$1:F1,$B$2:$B$6),),0)),"")
Regular formula, copied down and across to he next column
G2=SUMIFS($C$2:$C$6,$A$2:$A$6,E2,$B$2:$B$6,F2)
copied down

Upvote 0
No that doesn't really help me accomplish what I'm trying to do. You know let's forget about the sum part. If there is a way that I can have it pull information just like you showed me in the comments before, but instead of showing rows that are identical more than once, it'll only show unique rows. If I can accomplish that I can just use the SUMIFS() function after to accomplish the total count for that location.

Upvote 0
Using the same tables from post #7 ...
Put AA (your choice) in D1
E2=IF(IFERROR(INDEX(A$2:A$6,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIFS($E$1:E1,$A$2:$A$6,$F$1:F1,$B$2:$B$6),),0)),"")=$D$1,IFERROR(INDEX(A$2:A$6,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIFS($E$1:E1,$A$2:$A$6,$F$1:F1,$B$2:$B$6),),0)),""),"")
F2=IF(E2=$D$1,IFERROR(INDEX(B$2:B$6,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIFS($E$1:F1,$A$2:$A$6,$F$1:G1,$B$2:$B$6),),0)),""),"")

Upvote 0
Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
E​
F​
G​
1​
4​
2​
AAToronto
NameLocationTotal # Stores
3​
AAPhiladelphia
AAToronto
6​
4​
BBToronto
AAPhiladelphia
3​
5​
AAToronto
BBToronto
2​
6​
BBOttawa
BBOttawa
1​
7​

In E1 control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(1-($A$2:$A$6=""),MATCH($A$2:$A$6&"|"&$B$2:$B$6,$A$2:$A$6&"|"&$B$2:$B$6,0)),ROW($A$2:$A$6)-ROW($A$2)+1),1))

In E3 control+shift+enter, not just enter, copy across to F3, and down:

=IF(ROWS(E$3:E3)>$E$1,"",INDEX(A$2:A$6,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(1-($A$2:$A$6=""),MATCH($A$2:$A$6&"|"&$B$2:$B$6,$A$2:$A$6&"|"&$B$2:$B$6,0)),ROW(A$2:A$6)-ROW(A$2)+1),ROW(A$2:A$6)-ROW(A$2)+1),ROWS(E$3:E3))))

In G3 just enter and copy down:

=IF($E3="","",SUMIFS($C$2:$C$6,$A$2:$A$6,$E3,$B$2:$B$6,$F3))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back