elenamccarthy

I want to look at one excel sheet called "shipping and receiving log", I want it to find a "serial number" ex. W-111, then go to another excel sheet called "Serial Numbers" and find the correct instrument type ex. Worker. I want it to find the matching serial number from the first excel sheet ex. W-111, locate the date ex. 1-28-10 and then input it into the "shipping and receiving log". How would I write this up? Any code is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
perhaps something like this in the cell where you want your result

=VLOOKUP(A1,'Serial Numbers'!A:B,2,0)

where the following are true

A1 = the cell that contains W-111 in your "shipping and receiving log" sheet

'Serial Numbers'!A:B = a table where the first column "A" is a list of all possibilities of W-111 and the second column "B" are your dates

if you give me some more info i can make it easier

Upvote 0
I have a serial numbers workbook(workbook 2) with all of the serial numbers from all our different instruments. I have another workbook labeled shipping and receiving(workbook 1). I want to start in the workbook 2 and have it locate a serial number and then open workbook 2 and find that serial number and grab the date the instrument was made and put it back into the workbook 1

Upvote 0
Shipping and receiving Log
Date receivedRMA#CustomerModel NumberSerial Numbercalship dateship fromManufacturing Date
9-18-1712345****BT-1000BT-692c1-20-17UT?

<tbody>
</tbody>

Serial Numbers
DateCustomerModelSerial Number
1-8-97****BT-1000BT-692

<tbody>
</tbody>

Grab 1-8-97 and put it in the manufacturing Date.

Upvote 0
Alright so this is how the data is structured for me

WorkBook2
ABCDEFGHI
Date ReceivedRMA#CustomerModel NumberSerial Numbercalship dateship fromManufacturing Date
9-18-1712345****BT-1000BT-692c1-20-17UT

<tbody>
</tbody>

WorkBook1
ABCD
1-8-97****BT-1000BT-692
2-9-99****BT-2000BT-795

<tbody>
</tbody>

*The last line was just added for testing purposes*

So in cell I2 this is the formula
=INDEX([Book3]Sheet1!$A$2:$C$3,MATCH(E2,[Book3]Sheet1!$D$2:$D$3,0),MATCH("Date",[Book3]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$1,0))

Im sure after you paste it you can make sense of it

Give it a try

Upvote 0
What is Book3? I tried it and i got #N/A. To have it find the unit serial number how do i get it to look for it.

=INDEX([Book3]Sheet1!$A$2:$C$3,MATCH(E2,[Book3]Sheet1!$D$2:$D$3,0),MATCH("Date",[Book3]Sheet1!$A$1:$D$1,0))

Could you break it down for me so that i can try and debug it?

Upvote 0
[Book3]Sheet1! needs to be changed to your workbook 1 name and your sheet 1 name

So lets say your workbook 1 is called SerialNumbers and the sheet is SerialNum

the formula would then be

=INDEX([SerialNumbers]SerialNum!$A$2:$C$3,MATCH(E2,[SerialNumbers]SerialNum!$D$2:$D$3,0),MATCH("Date",[SerialNumbers]SerialNum!$A$1:$D$1,0))

Upvote 0
What if i have different 20 different instruments and they have their own sheet name? Does it matter if the name of the workbook has a space in it and the sheets are the 20 different instruments?

Upvote 0
After i enter the formula and hit enter i get #N/A. Please help not sure what i am doing wrong. Here is the code i'm using.
=INDEX([SerialNumbers]Sheet2!$A$2:$C$3,MATCH(E3,[SerialNumbers]Sheet2!$D$2:$D$3,0),MATCH("Date",[SerialNumbers]Sheet2!$A$1:$D$1,0))

Upvote 0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back