lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I went to format Cell-->custom. I see different formats like #,##0
what does that format mean? how you interpret that format?

also how can I know what kind of formatting applied on a cell? Lets say a cell formatted as %, how can I know this cell formatted as %.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Have a look here for a guide to custom number formatting.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your reply and interesting links. I really appreciate that.
I have this question. Lets say I typed this code #,#

if i type 1000 excel will type 1,000

so this is my interpretation: since the code is #,# then if i type 1000 then excel will go from left to right.. will go from left and count
3 digits and then put , after these 3 digits then what is remain which is 1 put it after the "," therefore excel will type 1,000

now if i type 1000000 why excel type 1,000,000 ? i thought excel will say since the code is #,# then i will start from the right to left
and count three digits and then put "," and what left i put it after the "," therefore i thought excel will type 10000,000
but to my surprise excel typed 1,000,000
why is that? how you understand this code #,#

thanks a lot once again

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your reply and interesting links. I really appreciate that.
I have this question. Lets say I typed this code #,#

if i type 1000 excel will type 1,000

so this is my interpretation: since the code is #,# then if i type 1000 then excel will go from left to right.. will go from left and count
3 digits and then put , after these 3 digits then what is remain which is 1 put it after the "," therefore excel will type 1,000

now if i type 1000000 why excel type 1,000,000 ? i thought excel will say since the code is #,# then i will start from the right to left
and count three digits and then put "," and what left i put it after the "," therefore i thought excel will type 10000,000
but to my surprise excel typed 1,000,000
why is that? how you understand this code #,#
First off, if you type in #,# for the Custom Format type pattern, it does not remain as that, if you go back to the Custom Format for that same cell, you will see Excel has expanded it to #,###. The comma in that pattern tell Excel to format the number in the cell with thousands separators... thousands separators are placed by counting digits from right to left which is why you are seeing the commas where you do.

Upvote 0
Thank you for you help. I have another question if you do not mind
I have numbers like

how can I use the custom to make number integer (no decimal) like

I know I can use "Increase" or "Decrease" decimal but I want to see how can I do that using custom code. Thanks

Upvote 0
Thank you for you help. I have another question if you do not mind
I have numbers like

how can I use the custom to make number integer (no decimal) like

I know I can use "Increase" or "Decrease" decimal but I want to see how can I do that using custom code. Thanks
You can find out what the Custom Format type pattern is for any cell formatting you use from the Category list by applying that format to a cell (here is would be Number with 0 decimal points) then selecting that cell and going back into the Cell Formatting dialog box and picking Custom from the Category list... it will show you what the Custom Format type pattern is for the selected cell even if the original format was not done form the Custom category item.

Upvote 0
Thanks once again for the great help. I select this custom formatting #,##0 and by that I got rid of the decimal. But I do not understand the logic behind it. Why after applying that formatting to a number like 48.66666 the result would be 48 ? it is great, that is what I want but how can this format #, ##00 do the trick. The following is my understanding

the 48 is the first # from the left hand side
then the ,
then ## are the first 2 number after the period which are 66
and the 00 should be added after these 2 numbers.

so the result should be 48.6600

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fyfe54

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back