Juanseefour

Is is possible to find the formulas used to get a result? Pretty much I hardcoded an answer in a test and as a result of not leaving in the formula I dropped serious marks. If anyone can help it would be seriously appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Is is possible to find the formulas used to get a result? Pretty much I hardcoded an answer in a test and as a result of not leaving in the formula I dropped serious marks. If anyone can help it would be seriously appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What kind of formula? Without more details it's impossible to tell.

Upvote 0
You could set the display to show formulas
Click the Formulas Tab/Formula Auditing/Show Formulas
or use CTRL ` (the key to the left of the 1 key)

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to the board.
Do you still have the formulas in your sheet, or have you overwritten them with the answer?
If they're still there then FDibbins answer should help.
Otherwise you'll have to create them from scratch

Upvote 0
Cheers for the help folks. I just thought there would be something built into excel that would let me show those marking it how i got the answers, as they wanted to see the formulas. Due to the reports i issue out i hardcode them. I pretty much failed for that reason. Now trying to think of whether or not there is a built in mechanism within excel where the value copied and pasted from the formula will now show the formula. If that makes any sense. either way i failed out of using "my best practice", so so soooooooooooo annoying as its the simplest part of the process and i should have passed easily. SIGH

Upvote 0
...Now trying to think of whether or not there is a built in mechanism within excel where the value copied and pasted from the formula will now show the formula....

No there is not.
If the formula sill existed, you could use Trace Precedents or Trace Dependents. Find then on the Formula Tab

Upvote 0
It's all good. Well not really,but I guess I have learnt something from it all. Life isn't fair and excel need to add this feature in!

Upvote 0
probably the main thing to learn from this is to make back-ups before you start making changes ;)

Upvote 0
...and that if how you got the answer is as important as the answer itself, separate the calculation of the results from their final presentation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back