Inserting or deleting entire rows or columns when portions of it are merged

c_wag03

I rarely ever post on forums like this because I can usually find an answer via Google where someone has already asked the same question, but in this case I have searched quite a bit and am not finding an answer.

My question is in regard to a perceived changed behavior in Excel that I assume is a recent change, although I can't say for sure in which version this started happening.

Say I have a worksheet where I have cells A1:A3 all merged. If on this worksheet I select the entire row 2, right click, and choose Delete:
  • Current behavior: The entirety of the merged cells A1:A3 ALL get deleted.
  • Past behavior: Only row 2 would be deleted, and the merged range would shrink to now be just A1:A2

The same goes for deleting columns if some range is merged across columns.

Also, similar for inserting rows (or columns). Previously, inserting a row (or column) between merged cells would just expand the merged content to include the added row(s) or column(s). Now, it inserts before the start of the merged range, and it inserts the number of rows that you have in the merged range. So, in my example, if I would have inserted row by selecting row 2 and right click, insert, it would insert 3 rows above my merged range, and my merged range would now be A4:A6 since 3 rows got inserted above the range.

Is there anyway to go back to the way it behaved that I remembered in the past? Like a setting or a different way of inserting or deleting that I could do?

And yes I realize that there isn't a ton of benefit to merging cells, but it's a habit I have gotten into when writing audit documentation that I'm used to and prefer not to break if there are any options! :)

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
[FONT=&quot]The following is an extract from the last bit of this link : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...group-of/c72e5abc-a4a8-4d9c-8bfc-18a1b712545e

I also had this issue... after years of being able to delete or add a column within a group of merged cells... I woke up and was unable to do it. I'm not super knowledgeable with excel (mainly self taught) ... So I run to Google whenever this is an issue. Most of what I read in response to this question, didn't work for me (either because it just didn't work or my lack of knowledge in excel limited my abilities). Regardless, I tried something and it DID work. I don't know if it will work for anyone else... but thought I'd post just in case.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had merged cells within the first 5 rows on my worksheet. I added about 10 rows to the top of my worksheet. In doing that, Excel decided it was cool to let me delete and add columns again.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing. However, I either don't understand what this person did, or they just misinterpreted the question and all they did was move the merged range out of the way so they could insert single rows above it. I was wanting to be able to insert or delete rows or columns and have any merged ranges auto-resize as a result. It sounds like MS just changed that behavior and there probably is no easy way to go back to how it behaved before. This link also provides some VBA code that will sort of work, but it only allows for inserting within a selected merged range. If you had more than one merged range impacted by your insert or delete action, I don't think the code would work.

Upvote 0
What version of xl are you running?
I get what you described as Past Behavior
Say I have a worksheet where I have cells A1:A3 all merged. If on this worksheet I select the entire row 2, right click, and choose Delete:

• Current behavior: The entirety of the merged cells A1:A3 ALL get deleted.
  • Past behavior: Only row 2 would be deleted, and the merged range would shrink to now be just A1:A2

Upvote 0
I have XL2016 and have never had the problem you describe - even with earlier versions.
Do you have this problem on all workbooks?

Upvote 0
I am on Excel 2016 via Office 365 at work, version shows as:

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus
Version 1705 (Build 8201.2193 Click-to-run)

And yes seems to be on all workbooks. I have just been starting with new blank workbooks for purposes of recreating the issue to make sure I was explaining correctly when writing this post, so shouldn't be anything workbook specific. I also just tried saving one in the old .xls format to see if that made any difference. And, I also just tried disabling add-ins as well (I have my personal macro workbook saved as an add-in that I have enabled most of the time).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back