Method to highlight names with consecutive attendance

AlexCHI

I am using Excel 2007 and asking your help for the best (and the easiest) way to highlight the names of people who have 6-month of consecutive attendance every Sundays.

My worksheet's layout are as follow:
Column A: Last Name
Column B: First Name
Row 9: Dates (with "S9" as Jan 01, 2017 thru "NS9" as Dec 31, 2017)
Row 10: Days (with "S10" as Sunday thru "NS10" as Sunday)

The attendance is taken by marking an "X" in the Sunday columns (i.e., 1/01/2017, 1/08/2017, 1/15/2017 and so on). So whoever attends every Sunday for 6-month straight would have their names (last/first) in column A/B highlighted. I am not sure if conditional formatting can achieve this or VBA? I greatly appreciate your input and please kindly provide the steps to achieve this. Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
01/01/1708/01/1715/01/1722/01/1729/01/1705/02/1712/02/1719/02/1726/02/1705/03/1712/03/1719/03/1726/03/1702/04/1709/04/1716/04/1723/04/1730/04/17
daveXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
CCCCCC
let us pretend we are looking for 4 OR MORE consecutive attendances
the cells that are colored are marked with a C as this forum does not support color
cond formula in E2
=AND(E2="X",D2="X",C2="X",B2="X")=TRUE

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col><col span="3"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="5"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Try this:-
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG29Sep03
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Ac1 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] Ac2 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] c [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("S11"), Range("S" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
Rng.Offset(, -18).Resize(, 2).Interior.Color = xlNone
[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
 c = 0
 [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] Ac1 = 0 To 182 [COLOR="Navy"]Step[/COLOR] 7
    [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] Ac2 = Ac1 To Ac1 + 182 [COLOR="Navy"]Step[/COLOR] 7
       [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Dn.Offset(, Ac2) = "X" [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
            c = c + 1
            [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] c >= 27 [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR] Dn.Offset(, -18).Resize(, 2).Interior.Color = vbYellow
        [COLOR="Navy"]Else[/COLOR]
            c = 0
            [COLOR="Navy"]Exit[/COLOR] For
        [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
    [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Ac2
  [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Ac1
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Thank you for the code Mick. I had applied your VBA to the worksheet and tested the data with limited success though. I marked the "X" from the last Sunday in March thru the last Sunday in September (even thru October) and the name would not be highlighted. Also, I tested another subject name with "X" marked from January 01 thru July and indeed the name was highlighted but then I removed the "X"s from the first two Sundays' columns and ran the micro again and the name was still highlighted even though it should not.

So would you be so kind to address the followings?

• Names (column A and column B) should be highlighted if there is 6-month straight consecutive attendance. Consecutive attendance can start any month in a year with emphasis on consecutive and not necessary starts from January. For example, a person's name will be highlighted if the attendance of this person starts on 3/19/2017 thru 9/24/2017.
  • My mistake, I had to add another column so please revise the code to reflect
    • Row 9: Dates (with "T9" as Jan 01, 2017 thru "NT9" as Dec 31, 2017)
    • Row 10: Days (with "T10" as Sunday thru "NT10" as Sunday)
    • "T11" will be the first cell for attendance-taking
  • My mistake #2 , instead of taking attendance by marking "X"s, the cells will actually contain "AM", "PM" or "AM & PM".
  • Could you possibly make the VBA as a worksheet change event?

It would be so awesome if this really works! Thank you in advance for your time and effort to help, Mick!

Upvote 0
Thank you for the code Mick. I had applied your VBA to the worksheet and tested the data with limited success though. I marked the "X" from the last Sunday in March thru the last Sunday in September (even thru October) and the name would not be highlighted. Also, I tested another subject name with "X" marked from January 01 thru July and indeed the name was highlighted but then I removed the "X"s from the first two Sundays' columns and ran the micro again and the name was still highlighted even though it should not.

So would you be so kind to address the followings?

• Names (column A and column B) should be highlighted if there is 6-month straight consecutive attendance. Consecutive attendance can start any month in a year with emphasis on consecutive and not necessary starts from January. For example, a person's name will be highlighted if the attendance of this person starts on 3/19/2017 thru 9/24/2017.
  • My mistake, I had to add another column so please revise the code to reflect
    • Row 9: Dates (with "T9" as Jan 01, 2017 thru "NT9" as Dec 31, 2017)
    • Row 10: Days (with "T10" as Sunday thru "NT10" as Sunday)
    • "T11" will be the first cell for attendance-taking

• My mistake #2 , instead of taking attendance by marking "X"s, the cells will actually contain "AM", "PM" or "AM & PM".
  • Could you possibly make the VBA as a worksheet change event?

It would be so awesome if this really works! Thank you in advance for your time and effort to help, Mick!

Upvote 0
Hi Oldbrewer,

Thank you for your reply and formula. Since I am not well versed in the world of excel codes, would you mind walking me step by step as how I can achieve highlighting the names in column A and column B for those with 6-month consecutive Sunday attendances (with the worksheet layouts as described in post #4 )?

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Code:
Private [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range)
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Ac1 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] Ac2 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] c [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Lst [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A11"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
[COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not Intersect(Target, Rng.Offset(, 18).Resize(, 365)) [COLOR="Navy"]Is[/COLOR] Nothing And Target.Count = 1 [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
Rng.Resize(, 2).Interior.Color = xlNone
[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
 c = 0
 [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] Ac1 = 0 To 196 [COLOR="Navy"]Step[/COLOR] 7
    [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] Ac2 = Ac1 To Ac1 + 182 [COLOR="Navy"]Step[/COLOR] 7
        [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] UCase(Dn.Offset(, Ac2 + 18)) = "AM" Or UCase(Dn.Offset(, Ac2 + 18)) = "PM" Or UCase(Dn.Offset(, Ac2 + 18)) = "AM & PM" [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
            c = c + 1
           [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] c >= 26 [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR] Dn.Resize(, 2).Interior.Color = vbYellow
        [COLOR="Navy"]Else[/COLOR]
            c = 0
            [COLOR="Navy"]Exit[/COLOR] For
    [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Ac2
  [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Ac1
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
do you want people who have ever had a 6 month run, or just those with a run of 6 months or more on THIS SUNDAY

Upvote 0
Hi Mick,

Thank you very much for the revised VBA code. However, this time the name was not highlighted at all after putting "AM" in the Sunday columns in a test subject's row for 6 consecutive months... In case the problem is due to my explanation, please refer to the screen shot of my worksheet. I really appreciate your time and help to debug the issue.

Excel 2007
ABSTUVWXYZAA
6AM Attendance31
7PM Attendance2
8AM & PM Attendance1
9Jan-1Jan-2Jan-3Jan-4Jan-5Jan-6Jan-7Jan-8
10Last NameFirst NameDays PresentSunMonTueWedThuFriSatSun
11BrownCharlie1AM & PM
12SimpsonBart1PM
13FlintstoneFred1AM
14BoopBetty28AMAM
Main Screen

Code:
Private [COLOR=Navy]Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target [COLOR=Navy]As[/COLOR] Range)
[COLOR=Navy]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR=Navy]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR=Navy]As[/COLOR] Range, Ac1 [COLOR=Navy]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]Long,[/COLOR] Ac2 [COLOR=Navy]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]Long,[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Navy]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Navy]Dim[/COLOR] Lst [COLOR=Navy]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Navy]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A11"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
[COLOR=Navy]If[/COLOR] Not Intersect(Target, Rng.Offset(, 18).Resize(, 365)) [COLOR=Navy]Is[/COLOR] Nothing And Target.Count = 1 [COLOR=Navy]Then[/COLOR]
Rng.Resize(, 2).Interior.Color = xlNone
[COLOR=Navy]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR=Navy]In[/COLOR] Rng
 c = 0
 [COLOR=Navy]For[/COLOR] Ac1 = 0 To 196 [COLOR=Navy]Step[/COLOR] 7
    [COLOR=Navy]For[/COLOR] Ac2 = Ac1 To Ac1 + 182 [COLOR=Navy]Step[/COLOR] 7
        [COLOR=Navy]If[/COLOR] UCase(Dn.Offset(, Ac2 + 18)) = "AM" Or UCase(Dn.Offset(, Ac2 + 18)) = "PM" Or UCase(Dn.Offset(, Ac2 + 18)) = "AM & PM" [COLOR=Navy]Then[/COLOR]
            c = c + 1
           [COLOR=Navy]If[/COLOR] c >= 26 [COLOR=Navy]Then[/COLOR] Dn.Resize(, 2).Interior.Color = vbYellow
        [COLOR=Navy]Else[/COLOR]
            c = 0
            [COLOR=Navy]Exit[/COLOR] For
        [COLOR=Navy]End[/COLOR] If
    [COLOR=Navy]Next[/COLOR] Ac2
  [COLOR=Navy]Next[/COLOR] Ac1
[COLOR=Navy]Next[/COLOR] Dn
[COLOR=Navy]End[/COLOR] If
[COLOR=Navy]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Navy]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back