Find data in a huge pile

bigdan

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm playing around with different systems which haven't been mapped properly. Essentially I'm trying to see if data in one system exists in the other, and if so what the fields would be called.

Once I get all the data into Excel, is there a way to see if data in group A exists anywhere in group B? Essentially this would be like a vlookup, except instead of looking at one column I want it to look at all the data in 30 columns. Can that be done?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Re: how to find data in a huge pile

I'm playing around with different systems which haven't been mapped properly. Essentially I'm trying to see if data in one system exists in the other, and if so what the fields would be called.

Once I get all the data into Excel, is there a way to see if data in group A exists anywhere in group B? Essentially this would be like a vlookup, except instead of looking at one column I want it to look at all the data in 30 columns. Can that be done?
Try using the COUNTIF function... the first argument would be the absolute range for Group B and the second argument would be an individual cell value from Group A. You did not give us enough about your layout to guess at an example formula for you, so I hope the above description is enough for you to go on.

Upvote 0

A Range's Find should suffice. e.g.
Code:
Sub Main()
  Dim r As Range, c As Range, f As Range
  Set r = [B1:C10]
  r.Value = "Hello World!"
  [C3].Value = "Ken"

[A1].Value = "Ken"
  Set f = r.Find([A1].Value)
  If Not f Is Nothing Then MsgBox f.Address

[A1].Value = "Kenneth"
  If Not f Is Nothing Then MsgBox f.Address
End Sub

Upvote 0

Try using the COUNTIF function... the first argument would be the absolute range for Group B and the second argument would be an individual cell value from Group A. You did not give us enough about your layout to guess at an example formula for you, so I hope the above description is enough for you to go on.

This works great, thanks.

I'm now finding a similar issue. I want to compare two sets of data, but I'd like to match even if they're an approximate match, not necessarily an exact. In order to consider something a match I'd like if the first word matched. So for example "USA 001" should match with "USA 002".

Can this be done?

Upvote 0

I'm now finding a similar issue. I want to compare two sets of data, but I'd like to match even if they're an approximate match, not necessarily an exact. In order to consider something a match I'd like if the first word matched. So for example "USA 001" should match with "USA 002".

Can this be done?
The COUNTIF function works with wildcards (? for single characters, * for zero or more characters) so your second argument could be "USA00?" or "USA*" depending on how "fuzzy" you want to allow the match to be.

Upvote 0

We can do an xlPart in Find. Of course the part can be anywhere in the string. If you want a prefix or suffix, then a find with Split() might be needed.

e.g.
Code:
Sub Main()
  Dim r As Range, c As Range, f As Range
  Set r = [B1:C10]
  r.Value = "Hello World!"
  [C3].Value = "Ken Ray Hobson"

[A1].Value = "Ken"
  If Not f Is Nothing Then MsgBox f.Address, , [A1]

[A1].Value = "ken"
  Set f = r.Find([A1].Value, MatchCase:=True) 'case senitive

[A1].Value = "ray"
  Set f = r.Find([A1], lookat:=xlPart)
End Sub

Upvote 0

The COUNTIF function works with wildcards (? for single characters, * for zero or more characters) so your second argument could be "USA00?" or "USA*" depending on how "fuzzy" you want to allow the match to be.

I tried this method. The thing is, in the specific formulas you wrote for me, it requires me to manually type out "USA00?" or "USA*". Instead lets say the field just says "USA-001" and I want it to return a match if anywhere in the data range we see a word/field starting with "USA".

Upvote 0

I tried this method. The thing is, in the specific formulas you wrote for me, it requires me to manually type out "USA00?" or "USA*". Instead lets say the field just says "USA-001" and I want it to return a match if anywhere in the data range we see a word/field starting with "USA".
The formula cannot know how to determine the text substring to search for without being told... and I don't know what to tell it. What is the general rule for determining the text substring... will it always be the text before a dash? If not, what other text strings are there and what is the text substring for each?

Upvote 0

The formula cannot know how to determine the text substring to search for without being told... and I don't know what to tell it. What is the general rule for determining the text substring... will it always be the text before a dash? If not, what other text strings are there and what is the text substring for each?

Let's say the first 5 letters being the same? I may tweak that later but that's a good start.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back