Trouble with a chart

odonovanc

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Having trouble with a chart. The date is in hours format. So it'll say something like 3:02.

However, it is not formatted in excel. If I look at format cells to see how it is formatted it just shows as regular number.

Anyway when I go to make a line chart with the data, it does not even try to give me an axis that uses these numbers. No matter how I try to change the data, I cannot get the chart to pick it up. Any tricks?

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
3:02 is in Hours:Minutes format, or h:mm. Select the range, press Ctrl+1 to format it, and select one of the time formats or just select custom and enter h:mm.

Note that 3:02 am is really 0.126388888888889 and 3:02 pm is really 0.626388888888889, since Excel stores dates and times as whole numbers for dates (the number of days since 1 Jan 1900, give or take an erroneous leap day) and fractions for times (the fraction of a day since midnight, where noon = 0.5).

Set up the data with the formatted times in one column and the values starting in the next adjacent column to the right. Leave a blank cell above the times, and put a label above the values. Select and plot.

Note also that if you use a line chart, even if Excel recognizes the times as times, everything will plot on the same horizontal position, since line charts only plot whole numbers. So make an XY Scatter chart. You can format it with lines just like a line chart, but the X axis will plot times as numerical values.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back