Trouble Conditional Formatting to continue to entire row (see pic)

nutshellml

I'm trying to setup Conditional Formatting for a log to keep track of appointments/scheduling. Basically I would like any old (prior to today) highlighted in gray or grayed out, but when I set it up, it seems to only highlight the date and number/currency fields but not the text fields. What am I Missing?

I would also like to do the same for the appointments happening THIS WEEK, highlighting in RED, I can either just get the column highlighted or same as above.

Thoughts? Hope this makes sense.

Screenshot_2017-10-15_22.08.21.png
Screenshot_2017-10-15_22.08.21.png

1kdzimptl7

Screenshot_2017-10-15_22.09.47.png

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
What you need to understand about dates and times in excel is…

a date is just a number representing the number of days passed since 1/1/900...and then formatted in a way that we recognize as a date. So, for instance, today (Sun 15 Oct 2017) is actually 43023

Time is actually a decimal part of 1 (day), so 06:00 AM is 0.25, 12 noon is 0.5 and 18:00 (or 6 PM) is 0.75

No, having said that, I have a feeing that the 'dates" you are testing, and not real dates?

Upvote 0
What you need to understand about dates and times in excel is…

a date is just a number representing the number of days passed since 1/1/900...and then formatted in a way that we recognize as a date. So, for instance, today (Sun 15 Oct 2017) is actually 43023

Time is actually a decimal part of 1 (day), so 06:00 AM is 0.25, 12 noon is 0.5 and 18:00 (or 6 PM) is 0.75

No, having said that, I have a feeing that the 'dates" you are testing, and not real dates?

Ok, I get what you're saying, but when setting the formatting up in excel it's working the way I set it up. I just can figure out how to extend the conditional formatting (highlighting) past the target (date) column consistently. If you see by my photos, it's not formatting any of the text fields. There has to be a simple fix I'm missing.

Upvote 0
Your formula should have the cell address for the formatting to check. I think yours is checking the current cell in every case a a1, b1, c1 which is why text cells isn't working.

=$A1<NOW()

Assuming A1 is where your date is.

You should also maybe usae =today() as this is not time sensitive and only date sesitive.

So you'll need $a1=Today() for highlighting todays appointments.

Anything after today will not be affected by the conditional formatting.

Good luck

Upvote 0
1st formula should be $A1=NOW()

Unless you are specifically dealing with time, it would be better to use =TODAY() instead of =TIME()

if A1 contains just a date (10/16/2017) and no time, then =A1=NOW() will pretty much never show TRUE because of the decimals that TIME includes for the hours and minutes

To get other cells to fire, you need to include them in the Applies To range

Upvote 0
Still not working, as you can see in the photos I attached I am selecting all of the cells, BUT it's only formatting/highlighting BLANK cells and cells with Numbers or Currency values. Not text values. Look at my example.

Upvote 0
Still not working, as you can see in the photos I attached I am selecting all of the cells, BUT it's only formatting/highlighting BLANK cells and cells with Numbers or Currency values. Not text values. Look at my example.

Disregard, I got it working... THANK YOU!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back