Overflow Error Puzzle

nigelandrewfoster

Hi. I am exploring execution time overheads using various structures of code. I came across this today - an Overflow error (on the highlighted line) caused simply by declaring data type. Can anyone explain it please?

When I run the code without declaring the arguments I am passing as integers (i.e. I leave them as variants) the code executes with no problems.

Thanks

Code:
Sub B()

Dim StartTime As Double
Dim SecondsElapsed As Double
Dim Count As Single
Dim Result As Single
Dim A As Integer, B As Integer, C As Integer, D As Integer, E As Integer, _
        F As Integer, G As Integer, H As Integer, I As Integer, J As Integer

A = 1
B = 2
C = 3
D = 4
E = 5
F = 6
G = 7
H = 8
I = 9
J = 10

StartTime = Timer

For Count = 1 To 10000000
    Result = Multiply(A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J)
Next

SecondsElapsed = Round(Timer - StartTime, 2)

MsgBox "This code ran successfully in " & SecondsElapsed & " seconds", vbInformation

End Sub

Function Multiply(a1 As Integer, a2 As Integer, a3 As Integer, a4 As Integer, a5 As Integer, _
        a6 As Integer, a7 As Integer, a8 As Integer, a9 As Integer, a10 As Integer) As Single
[COLOR=#ff0000]    Multiply = a1 * a2 * a3 * a4 * a5 * a6 * a7 * a8 * a9 * a10[/COLOR]
End Function

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Declaring them as Integer causes VBA to use an Integer variable for storing the intermediate results of the multiplications, which is why you get an overflow.

Upvote 0
Hiya, thanks again for your help. Well, I never knew that. So when I declare a variable I need to declare it with the data type of that of any conceivable result from its use in calculation??

Upvote 0
No, you need to make sure that any calculations you do use appropriate inputs. You could cast the inputs as Long/Double, for example.

Upvote 0
I've always used the smallest possible data type to speed execution. So to clarify, if the product of two variables I am going to multiply is greater than 32767 I cannot safely declare those variables as integers? Or only when there are more than two numbers being multiplied where the system stores intermediate values?

Upvote 0
If you do anything with those two integers that will result in a value exceeding an integer, you'll have a problem unless you do something about it. That doesn't mean you can't declare them as Integers (though I do not believe that will actually result in better performance and it may in fact be worse) it just means you have to handle it at the point where you do the calculation. So, for example, this will fail:

Rich (BB code):
    Dim a As Integer, b As Integer, c As Long
    a = 30000
    b = 3000
    c = a + b

whereas this is fine:

Rich (BB code):
    Dim a As Integer, b As Integer, c As Long
    a = 30000
    b = 3000
    c = CLng(a) + CLng(b)

Upvote 0
I've always used the smallest possible data type to speed execution...

I agree with Rick. Unless specifically needed (E.G. for an API), I would use Longs. To tack onto what Rory hinted about as to execution speed, Longs process quicker than Integers. Here's a cheapie example. Just open a new wb and add to a standard module.

Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit

Declare Function GetTickCount Lib "kernel32" () As Long

Sub exampleSpeed_Int_VS_Long()
Const LIMIT As Long = 600000000

Dim int01 As Integer, lng01 As Long
Dim lngCounter As Long
Dim lHack As Long

int01 = 1
  lng01 = 1

lHack = GetTickCount

For lngCounter = 1 To LIMIT
    int01 = int01 + 1
    int01 = int01 - 1
  Next

MsgBox "Integers took " & FormatNumber(((GetTickCount - lHack) / 1000), NumDigitsAfterDecimal:=2, GroupDigits:=vbTrue) & " seconds"
  DoEvents

lHack = GetTickCount

For lngCounter = 1 To LIMIT
    lng01 = lng01 + 1
    lng01 = lng01 - 1
  Next

MsgBox "Long Integers took " & FormatNumber(((GetTickCount - lHack) / 1000), NumDigitsAfterDecimal:=2, GroupDigits:=vbTrue) & " seconds"

End Sub

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
Adding to @Rick Rothetin's comment, VBA converts Integers into Longs in later versions of Excel, so it's actually slower to declare variables as Integers.

If execution speed really is of importance, processing data in memory and efficient and/or complex programming makes a more noticeable execution time difference than using Integer or Byte variable types.

Nice example @GTO if Integers are converted into Longs, is that what cause the difference in execution time?

Curious why Longs process faster than Integers, is it to do with using 32 or 64-bit computing, vs old days of 16-bit or less or because of the conversion of integers to longs?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back