Refreshing Cells

Terry Hendicott

Hi.

I am using MathCad to insert values into some cells in Excel. This is working fine.
However cells that rely on the inputted values do not update.

I insert a cell value using MathCad say Sheet2!A1.
I set cell Sheet1!A1 = Sheet2!A1.

On exporting the data from Mathcad with excel file closed it does set the value of Sheet2!A1
On opening Excel the value is in Sheet2!A1. the formula is in Sheet1!A1 but the value does not update in the cell unless you edit the formula again.

How do I get the cell Sheet1!A1 to update after automatically importing value into Sheet2!A2

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
With Sheet1 active, hold down the shift key and press the F9 key - does Sheet1!A1 update?

Upvote 0
With Sheet1 active, hold down the shift key and press the F9 key - does Sheet1!A1 update?

Excellent idea but did not work. Must be some flag on the cell Sheet2!A1 that has not been set to let Excel know Sheet1!A1 needs updating?

It updates if I manually change Sheet2!A1 cell.
It updates if I edit Sheet1!A1 formula.

Upvote 0
Don't know anything about MathCad, but if you are willing to convert your workbook to a macro-enabled workbook, you could install the code below to place the desired formula in Sheet1 A1 when the workbook is opened.
To install ThisWorkbook code:
1. With your workbook active press Alt and F11 keys. This will open the VBE window.
2. In the project tree on the left of the VBE window, find your project and double-click the 'Thisworkbook' icon.
3. Copy the code below from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
4. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
5. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Formula = "=Sheet2!A1"
End Sub

Upvote 0
You are welcome - thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back