Speed up code, SUMIF replacement

nikio8

Board Regular
Hi all. Thanks MrExcell for teaching me to macro.

Essentially I was practicing to convert quite a few files from PDF to excel. Say, create invoice templates.
The other day i had over 30,000 lines of PDF. Times 15 columns. It would just take too long to do anything.

I was wandering how to speed up code:
-Does excel calculate column by column, row by row, or uses value change event to calculate formulas?
Say if dat is copied to column 1 (A). In column 2 (B) we use very good formula to find my main data lines (containing product codes) from column 1 (A). Then the rest of columns can start with if(B<>"","",Formula). If I have this criteria formula in column 10, i was thinking excel may calculate the first 9 columns, go to 10, and then recalculate all. Use Search or Find?
What would be the best way to arrange formulas?

-SUMIF. I do not know any other way to make sure total is correct, as invoice is divided in rows. One column will get total from PDF, another will use SUMIF.
If(SUMIF_Col - PDF_Total = 0,"Balanced", SUMIF_Col). However, this formula seems to be the major bottleneck. Would SUMIFS be quicker, however I need to run SUMIF twice, total excluding tax + tax?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
-Does excel calculate column by column, row by row, or uses value change event to calculate formulas?

Charles Williams at Decision Models, http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsc.htm, says this:
Excel does not calculate cells in a fixed order, or by Row or Column. Instead, Excel dynamically determines and remembers its own internal calculation sequence, which is based on dependencies and dependency trees and chains.

Overall Excel has a two step calculation process:

Step 1: Build Dependency Trees and flag cells as uncalculated.
Step 2: Determine the dependency tree calculation sequence, calculate the uncalculated formulae according to the calculation sequence, and remember the calculation sequence for the next recalculation.
Mr.Williams site is good for exploring Excel internals—but too much information to absorb in one reading.

No one, that I could find quickly, compares SUMIF to SUMIFS. Microsoft recommends SUMIF and SUMIFS over SUMPRODUCT and array formulas. They also recommend splitting out multiple conditions into helper columns. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt709003.aspx#Array Formulas and SUMPRODUCT

I don't want to miss mentioning the msdn article, Excel Recalculation: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb687891.aspx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know if this is any faster than your

=IF(SUMIF_Col - PDF_Total = 0,"Balanced", SUMIF_Col)

but you can try

=CHOOSE((SUMIF_Col<>PDF_Total)+1,"Balanced",SUMIF_Col)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back