Apply Border Configurations To Specific Cell Background Colors

miketurn

(I figured this one would already exist, but when I do searches on the internet I get tons of results of people looking to change the color of border lines)

I was wondering if anyone has a macro that could analyze the active range of a spreadsheet and apply a specific border configuration to cells based on their specific background fill color.
I am looking for something that I can kind of tweak myself and learn a little bit in the process.

Basically I am looking for a macro that for example can take any cells that have a background fill color "ColorIndex = 36" (which is yellow) and add xlMedium thick border lines to the right and left sides.
As well as take any cells with a background fill color "ColorIndex = 34" (which is cyan) and add a xlMedium thick border around the entire cell.

I think with these two items I can tweak the macro to accomodate different colors and border configurations.

Thank you to anyone who reads this and has anything to share.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I guess it depends on which type of interior cell color you mean, conditional format or manually set?

Keep in mind that using colorindex as the criteria may not be the same for all users in their workbooks. I prefer using the Color property myself.

Upvote 0
@Kenneth Hobson
Thank you for your response, I am referring to color fills that are "manually set".
To be honest I have seen the "Conditional Formatting" within Excel, but have really overlooked this feature, your question has now brought it to my attention :)

Your other statement was something I was going to mention/ask as well, in the fact that I noticed that no one uses "ColorIndex" in their macros.
Kind of a bad habit that I developed from "recording" macros :)
You are correct, not the smartest idea, because I believe the "ColorIndex" refers to the color grid placement within Excel, if those swatch colors are changed in that grid, the new color will have the same "ColorIndex" value.

Initially I learned this when trying to find out why I couldn't get a simple light light pink fill color, which I was never able to achieve correctly.
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel...kground-color-using-rgb-color-code-macro.html
If I changed the swatch color I was able to get a light light pink fill, but if I used the macro coding for RGB value, it never worked for that color. I was able to get it to work for other colors though.

Anyways, thank you for mentioning these items.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The fastest and easiest way is to find the formats that you want and then replace them. Once found, you don't have to replace with the same type. Record a macro to see the syntax for doing what you want. Then change the ReplaceFormat part to suit. e.g.
Code:
Sub frFormats()
  With Application
    .FindFormat.Clear
    .FindFormat.Interior.Color = vbYellow
    .ReplaceFormat.Clear
    .ReplaceFormat.Font.Color = vbRed

ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Replace What:="", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder _
          :=xlByColumns, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=True, ReplaceFormat:=True

.FindFormat.Clear
    .ReplaceFormat.Clear
  End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Kenneth Hobson
Thank you for your response / macro.
Here are some things I was able to work on....

The following macro works, it successfully adds a border line to the right and left of all yellow filled cells

Code:
Sub BorderToYellowFill()
  With Application
    .FindFormat.Clear
    .FindFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 153)
    .ReplaceFormat.Borders(xlEdgeLeft).Weight = xlMedium
    .ReplaceFormat.Borders(xlEdgeRight).Weight = xlMedium

ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Replace What:="", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder _

.FindFormat.Clear
    .ReplaceFormat.Clear
  End With
End Sub

I then tried adding the next desired feature which was adding a border around cells with red background fills...
I created one with trying to keep only one "With" command (SHOWN BELOW) and a different one with two "With" commands

Code:
Sub BorderToMultiColorFills()
  With Application
    .FindFormat.Clear

.FindFormat.Clear
    .FindFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0)
    .ReplaceFormat.Borders(xlEdgeTop).Weight = xlMedium
    .ReplaceFormat.Borders(xlEdgeBottom).Weight = xlMedium
'THINK I AM CORRECT THAT "BORDERAROUND" DOES NOT WORK IN THIS SITUATION?

.FindFormat.Clear
    .ReplaceFormat.Clear
  End With
End Sub

The two "Sub BorderToMultiColorFills" macros, both seem to work but produce a little strange activity.
When they are applied, you don't see the borders added right away, you either have to click on a different spreadsheet tab and then come back, or if I scroll down beyond the active sheet range and then scroll back up then I see the borders have been added. The spreadsheets were just simple spreadsheets tests, not large data filled sheets.

The one that adds just the border to the yellow, I think on occassion may have done this once or twice, but generally not, only when I added that second part.

I guess I could add some kind of refresh code to it but doesn't seem like this should be happening, for simple border adding.

Would someone be willing test my two "Sub BorderToMultiColorFills" and see if you experience similar results?
As mentioned the second attempt had two "With" commands.

If anyone has any advice on how to fix this, and or how to clean up my coding a bit, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might be a bit cleaner to make a Main() to call two Find/Replace Format Subs.

No, the Range.BorderAround does not work in this method but can be used separately. While two Withs could be used, one is a bit cleaner. Maybe skip the With Application. With Application.ReplaceFormat might be the better choice.

I added a bit more to test and show how to set a few more options rather than relying on the defaults. The extras can be deleted. I could not replicate your refresh issue. An ActiveSheet.Calculate might be worth trying for you.

Test on blank ActiveSheet or even blank workbook.
Code:
Sub SetupAndTest_BorderToYellowFill()
  ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Clear
  [A1,B2,C3].Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 153)
  BorderToYellowFill
End Sub

Sub BorderToYellowFill()
  With Application
    .FindFormat.Clear
    .ReplaceFormat.Clear

.FindFormat.Clear
    .ReplaceFormat.Clear
  End With
End Sub

Sub SetupAndTest_BorderToMultiColorFills()
  ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Clear
  [A1,B2,C3].Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 153)
  [E1:E3,F2,G3].Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0)
  BorderToMultiColorFills
End Sub

With Application
    .FindFormat.Clear
    With .ReplaceFormat
      .Clear

Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 153)
      .Borders(xlEdgeLeft).Weight = xlMedium
      .Borders(xlEdgeRight).Weight = xlMedium

Application.FindFormat.Clear
      .Clear

Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0)

.Borders.LineStyle = xlContinuous
      .Borders.ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
      .Borders.TintAndShade = 0

.Borders(xlEdgeTop).Weight = xlMedium
      .Borders(xlEdgeBottom).Weight = xlMedium
  'THINK I AM CORRECT THAT "BORDERAROUND" DOES NOT WORK IN THIS SITUATION?
  'https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/excel-vba/articles/range-borderaround-method-excel

.Clear
    End With
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
@Kenneth Hobson
Thank you again for your response and your continued help.
At first I will admit I was a little confused, but I think I understand what is going on now.

Here is the most up to date version at the moment, I have added a couple of questions / comments

Code:
  With Application
    .FindFormat.Clear
    With .ReplaceFormat
      .Clear     'IS THIS LINE CORRECT, JUST SEEMS OUT OF PLACE VISUALLY?

Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 153)

.Clear      'IS THIS LINE CORRECT, JUST SEEMS OUT OF PLACE VISUALLY?

Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0)

.Borders.LineStyle = xlContinuous
      .Borders.ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
      '.Borders.TintAndShade = 0        THIS LINE CAUSED A DEBUG DIALOG SO I OMITTED IT

.Borders(xlEdgeTop).Weight = xlMedium
      .Borders(xlEdgeBottom).Weight = xlMedium

.Clear         'IS THIS LINE CORRECT, JUST SEEMS OUT OF PLACE VISUALLY?
    End With
  End With

'ADDED THESE TWO ITEMS BELOW
  With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
     .BorderAround xlContinuous, xlMedium, xlAutomatic
  End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

I was still experiencing that refresh issue, and I tried a couple of different "Calculate" type refresh items but none of them worked, I then found this piece of code that solved the issue.

Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

If you or anyone else can see any issues with anything please let me know if you have the time.
Thank You again for the help you are offering me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The .Clear's are fine. Your two With's make them Application.ReplaceFormat.Clear.

Upvote 0
@Kenneth Hobson
Thank you for your response, I figured the "clears" were okay, just wanted to be sure, such short lines of code they just stood out to a non experienced macro tweaker like myself :)

Again thank you for all your help and patience, the macro works great.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back