Random Number generator

Kosman

Hi,

I want to make 50 tables (matrices) with 150 numbers each. The numbers should be randomized either a 0 or 1.

I first thought i would create a 10 by 15 matrix:
- Generate a random number between 1 and 150. (for the amount of 1s in the table)
- Generate a random number between 1 and 10. (for the collumn)
- Generate a random number between 1 and 15. (for the row)

And then keep refreshing column and row numbers and enter the amount of 1s in the matrix.

As i do not want to make the 50 tables by hand. Does anyone know how to generate such tables?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I'm a bit confused

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]- Generate a random number between 1 and 150. (for the amount of 1s in the table)[/COLOR]

Are you looking for the numbers between 1 and 150 or are you looking to place only 1 and 0 in these 150 cells. Your explanation confuses me.

Upvote 0
Why not just enter the formula =randbetween(0,1) in all the cells?

Upvote 0
I'm a bit confused

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]- Generate a random number between 1 and 150. (for the amount of 1s in the table)[/COLOR]

Are you looking for the numbers between 1 and 150 or are you looking to place only 1 and 0 in these 150 cells. Your explanation confuses me.

sry,

I am looking to place only 1 an 0 in the 150 cells.

Upvote 0
My interpretation.... Kosman wants to generate 50 10x15 matrices of random 0s and 1s such that the sum of each matrix will be between 1 and 150 randomly.

It is interesting that Kosman said between 1 and 150, not 0 and 150. So technically, the solution should guarantee at least one 1, randomly placed.

But practically, it is a "good bet" that there will be at least one 1, even if we don't make an effort to "guarantee" it. Is the probability of at least one 1: 1 - BINOMDIST(1,150,0.5,1) ?

Upvote 0
Why not just enter the formula =randbetween(0,1) in all the cells?

Because that will give me tables which all have approx 75 0s, and 75 1s.

I will not get anything like 30 1s and 120 0s, or vice versa.

The output is then not normally distributed.

Upvote 0
Joeu2004... First sentence is on point!

Do you mean to use BINOMDIST(1,150,0.5,1) 150 times? (I get lot of different values).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because that will give me tables which all have approx 75 0s, and 75 1s.

I will not get anything like 30 1s and 120 0s, or vice versa.

The output is then not normally distributed.

The sums of 150 random binary numbers will assuredly have a normal distribution (or a binomial distribution so close to normal that only God can tell the difference) with a mean of 150 * 0.5 = 75 and a SD of 150 * 0.5 * (1 - 0.5) ~ 6.124.

But if all you're looking for is a bunch of normally-distributed numbers with a certain mean and SD, use =NORM.INV(RAND(), mean, SD).

If you always want integers, round the result. So, for example, you could use =NORM.INV(RAND(), 75, 20).

That could (eventually will) include negative results. If that's not allowable, then you want log-normal random variates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... then you want log-normal random variates.
Or maybe random variates from a truncated normal distribution, depending on the object of the exercise.

Upvote 0
... and a SD of 150 * 0.5 * (1 - 0.5) ~ 6.124.

That should say

... and a SD of SQRT(150 * 0.5 * (1 - 0.5)) ~ 6.124

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back