Add Row without Disrupting group of cells

PatrickKn

I think I'm having trouble getting to the bottom of this because I'm not quite caught up on the excel verbage and phrases, so when I search certain terms they come up with bad results that don't get me anywhere. Apologies if this is a common question, I can't seem to find it!

Anyway, I have a tracker with 100 names, and whether they've attended a course or not. Then it goes through a series of other questions and options based on whether they have or not. Long story short, on the right of the tracker is a box that will give the percentage of people with the course, percentage without, percentage registered and so on. However, people may go in and add names to the list, in alphabetical order. I'm curious how I make it so people can insert a new row without affecting my box with all the calculations in it should they cross paths?

So say my box is L11 - Q22, and if someone adds a name whose name would alphabetically fall on row 15, how can I keep the box intact and unaffected?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
PatrickKn,

In these situations I like to use a workspace. This allows you to have two separate views of the same workbook, and allows them to scroll independently. Try this:

1. Move your summary box to a new sheet, or underneath (or in a new sheet), but not to the side.
  2. Go to View > New Window (It won't look like anything happened)
  3. Click Arrange All, choose Vertical, and click OK.
  4. Use the window on the right to display your summary data, and the window on the left to display the list.
  5. Resize/position the windows as necessary to give yourself the desired appearance
  6. Save the file.
  7. Now, click on Save Workspace, and give it a meaningful name.
  8. When you open the file, open the workspace file instead of the workbook, and it will open the worksheet with your window positions restored, allowing you to see both sets of data in one view.

In doing this, the data on your table can be modified while keeping the summary data separate, but visible. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back