Date format - Question

J Lowe

I am needing to turn 0102 into 01/02 . I have thousands of these that I need to convert.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you,
Jason

PS: The new format is great! Maybe one day, I can make more of a contribution to the message board instead of always having to ask for help.

Well, day two.....

I stopped working on the problem yesterday because MS keeps saying that I have created a circular reference. It does, however, change 1191 to 1/0/1900, which tells me I am on the right track.

Can anyone suggest why I might be getting these circular references and how to get it to change it to a format that I can use?

This is the formula that I am pasting over the data:

=DATE(RIGHT(G2,2),LEFT(G2,2),1)

I have, by the way, followed all of the suggestions in this posting and really appreciate all of the assistance I have received. This board is a great tool for me.

Thanks,
Jason

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
On 2002-02-19 08:35, J Lowe wrote:
Well, day two.....

I stopped working on the problem yesterday because MS keeps saying that I have created a circular reference. It does, however, change 1191 to 1/0/1900, which tells me I am on the right track.

Can anyone suggest why I might be getting these circular references and how to get it to change it to a format that I can use?

This is the formula that I am pasting over the data:

=DATE(RIGHT(G2,2),LEFT(G2,2),1)

I have, by the way, followed all of the suggestions in this posting and really appreciate all of the assistance I have received. This board is a great tool for me.

Thanks,
Jason
Try Paste|Special|Values when you are pasting over your data. My guess is that your data is in G2, that creates your circular reference.

Upvote 0
Barrie,

That was exactly what I was doing. I was trying to paste the information over the data that was in the cells, which, apparantly, is a no-no.

After setting the formula in a blank cell in another column, I have been able to Paste/Special the formula as Text, then choose Format Cells/Custom/Type/mmdd, which puts the numbers in the format I need. From there, I can drag the formula down and it will make the necessary changes to the entire column that I need changed. After I finish that, I can cut and paste over the old column.

Once again, thanks to everyone on the board for helping me with this issue. I am learning so much here.

Gracias,
Jason

Upvote 0
One more addendum to my last reply.

I found that if I were to cut and paste the new column over the old column, I go back to the old problem of the circular reference. What I decided to do instead is just to have a new column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back