"Unable to open http:\\<Website here> The internet site reports that the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0 404)"

YounesB3

Board Regular
I had several pop-ups with the following message "Unable to open http:\\<website here=""> The internet site reports that the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0 404)"

I cleaned up the file, which had broken links from early 2000s, by cleaning-up the following:
- Formulas from the Name Manager (I also cleaned-up the hidden ones by running a macro to show ALL of them);
- Conditional formatting from all worksheets including hidden ones;
- Data validation from all worksheets including hidden ones;
- Old connections which weren't necessary anymore.

This removed all but one link which still pop-ups when I open the file. There is one adequate remaining connection. When I remove the connection, the pop-up disappears. So I thought the other file might be the problem. I cleaned-up the other file by doing the same process as above. The problem remained.... I then proceeded to identify where were the links being made with the file by searching ".xl" in all workbooks. It all comes down to only 8 formulas. The problem is that these formulas have no errors and are a simple IF+VLOOKUP. I checked the results of these formulas and they all make sense. Nonetheless, when I remove those 8 cells, the pop-up disappears. So I thought the file might be corrupted. I then proceeded to remove those 8 cells, save the file, closing it, and reputing the same links afterward. After I put the formulas in these cells, the pop-up reappears again....

The thing is, the URL pop-up message still showing has absolutely no tie with these 8 cells and it talks about a link from 2014....

What's up with that?</website>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back