What is the best, easiest and fastest methodology to compare two Excel data sets?

Robert De Bruyn

Dear,
I need to compare two Exceldata sets (1 Original data set and 1 Test data set from the original one) toverify and validate whether they are equal or not? I also would like to see visually (E.g. In green or red colors) were the data sets are different or equal. If possible I would like to do this as automatedas possible to avoid/reduce errors and speed up the process.
How can I best do this in a quick, easy and best way? What is the best, easiest and fastest methodology?
Can you help?
With Kind regards,
Robert De Bruyn

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
if the data is the same length and sorted in the same order then you could use CF, but you only need GREEN or RED not both

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. I need to check but I assume the data has the same length and is in the same order. In that case you propose to use CF. However, what is CF? And, is the data sets are in different length and different order what should I then do first and how do I do it? By the way, I am using Excel 2013.
if the data is the same length and sorted in the same order then you could use CF, but you only need GREEN or RED not both

Upvote 0
With CF you mean most probably Conditional Formatting? What is the best approach to use it? Do you have a blue print how best to do it?

Upvote 0
so if you select the first cell (I've used A1 and B1 , go into rules manager, select the rule equal to so that select a format you will work to produce

Cell Value <> B1 Format RED Applies to =A1

then as you copy the format and drag acroos the relevant cells those that don't match will have a red shade

takes a little practice

Upvote 0
Dear Mole999, This sounds familiar, fast and rather easy. So, I will try it and let you know when I have problems/challenges. Many thanks for this suggestion. Wkr, Robert :)

Upvote 0
youtube will visually demonstrate

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
almerpogi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back