VLOOKUP Fuction

knaimi

Our school purchased a program that offers different courses for our students. My class has 15 students. When I download the scores in excel, the program doesn't separate the scores by teachers or by groups rather I get the scores of the entire school. the report even shows scores of previous classes that my students took. the report contains 5 columns:

Column A has the student name, Column B has the subject, Columns C has progress Scores, Column D has Overall Score, and Column E has the actual score. I have my roster printed in excel that has the same columns and I'm trying to transfer my students' scores in columns C, D, & E from the report to my list. I want to ensure that the name of the student (Column A) and the course (Column B) are both correct before transferring the score to that row. Can I do that with VLOOKUP? Or is there a better way to do it?

Please help,

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
If each student and course combination can only appear once, then you're better using SUMIFS.

If the first row is row 2 and they are on a sheet called 'Scores', then try:
=SUMIFS(Scores!C:C,Scores!$A:$A,$A2,Scores!$B:$B,$B2)

You can then drag it to the right, and it should adjust itself for column D and E as well.

Cheers
JB

Upvote 0
Solution
That is not what I want to do, I want simply to transfer the three scores for each student from the report to my list.

Upvote 0
That is not what I want to do, I want simply to transfer the three scores for each student from the report to my list.
The formula bellman101 provided will do that. Have you tried it?

If the person only has one record for that subject, that it what it will return.
If they have multiple records, it will SUM the components of each one.
It sounds like that probably doesn't occur on your sheet. No matter, it should work either way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is exactly what that formula will do.

E.G.

Student Subject Score
John Maths 70
Jim Geography 55
Joe IT 87
John Science 71
Jim Maths 42
Joe Science 91

You cannot do a VLOOKUP as it will only assess one column, but you can use sumifs. If you sum score where Student= Joe and Subject = Science, because that combination only appears once, it will return the correct score - 91 in this example.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back