Personal.xlsb loading after selected working workbook

DaveCG

When I first decided to use a personal.xlsb with Excel 2016 in XLSTART to store my macro it would load before I opened the workbook I wanted to work on so it was hidden and the workbook I needed to work on loaded last and so it was active. Fine. Recently, behavior has changed and now personal.xlsb loads second, thus hiding the workbook I need to work on and forcing me to navigate to it. Not a really big deal, I know, but irritating. I tried hiding the personal.xlsb, but when it auto-loads thereafter it throws a 1004 runtime error. It appears that the macro I've saved in the personal workbook can't run hidden. So hiding is not an option.
Is there any way that when I load a workbook that it waits for the personal workbook to load first so that the workbook I need to edit is always on top? Is there any other way of achieving the same thing?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It appears that the macro I've saved in the personal workbook can't run hidden. So hiding is not an option.

It might help to post the macro including stating the line that it is erring out on.

Upvote 0
It might help to post the macro including stating the line that it is erring out on.

Well here's the Macro FWIW:

Code:
Sub Auto_Open()
    Dim c As Range
    Set c = Cells.Find(What:="", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart)
End Sub

When I set the personal.xlsm file to be hidden, save and close, then open a different excel file, I get:
"Run-time error '1004':
Method 'Cells' of object '_Global' failed"

and when I click "Debug", this portion of the above code is highlighted:

All the code does is change the default "Look In" setting in the "Find" tool from "Formulas" to "Values".
I don't really care if the personal file is hidden or not, I simply want the file I'm going to be editing to be displayed without my having to navigate to it. As I said - it's not a really big issue - simply an annoyance.

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to the board.
Try this. It needs to go in the Thisworkbook module of your Personal wbk
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim c As Range
    Set c = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells.Find(What:="", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart)

End Sub

Upvote 0
As I am reading it you are telling it to open the personal workbook when it is already open as that is why it goes in in the start up folder then search the cells in the personal workbook which it can't as it isn't active as it is hidden.

Might be better to explain what you actually want the code to do.

I might be wrong though as on my phone so can't test.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work. When I save & open the macros list, its now empty where before "Auto_Open" was listed before. And when I look in the "Look in" drop down of the "Find" utility, it's gone back to "Formulas" again.

Upvote 0
Try the link below to Tom Urtis post number 7

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/47577-change-find-default-formula-value.html

Note that this was for the old Excel versions and so you need to adapt it to the locations on the ribbon in versions later than 2007.

or the easiest way is to assign the macro to your QAT.

Code:
Sub FindValues()
 Application.Dialogs(xlDialogFormulaFind).Show , 2
End Sub

then use that button rather than your normal find button.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but that doesn't do what I need it to do. Actually, my original code works just fine:

Code:
Sub Auto_Open()
 Dim c As Range
 End Sub

I simply want the personal file to not get in front of the file that I open to work on. Actually, I've been doing it so long now, I'm actually getting used to immediately navigating to the right file. I was hoping I could find a way to simply hide the personal file without getting a 1004 error, but it looks like I'll just work with what I have.
I appreciate you help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back