Error occurred during load

MeisterConrad

Office Version
  1. 2007
I've been reading countless posts on various forums to try to find a solution, but none have been found yet. I hope someone can tell me how to solve this problem.

I created a workbook to track my finances, and it's quite involved as I have been tweaking it over several years. Currently, I'm using it on my Windows 10 OS computer with MS Office 2007. The workbook involves several pages, macros, and userforms. The problem arose seemingly out of nowhere and for no reason.

Lately, when I try to open the workbook, I'm met with the "Errors occurred during load." message. I click OK to continue in order to find out what the problem is. Then I get "Excel found unreadable content in 'Finances2017.xlsm'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes." Since I am the source of the workbook, I click "Yes" only to be met with
"Errors occurred during load."
again. I click "OK" to be met with the same message again. Clicking "OK" once more gives me "Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content. Removed Part: /xl/vbaProject.bin part. (Visual Basic for Applications (VBA))".

Somehow my UserForm and VB coding won't load, and that's why I get the rigamarole described above. In trying to fix the issue, I uninstalled MS Office Suite from my computer, and then re-installed it from the factory disks - thinking that whatever program file or registrations that have been corrupted or missing will be replenished with the new install. Nope! Problem persists.

On the advice found in various forums, I've disabled ActiveX controls and Macros by way of the Trust Center, and then, upon opening, click the "Enable Content" button that appears. No good. Also on forum advice, I downloaded and ran something called "vbrun60sp6", which was supposed to correct the operation of VB applications. No good. Problem still persists.
<strike></strike>
Other excel workbooks will open just fine, but none of these include UserForms or VB coding. To further complicate the diagnosis, when I open the workbook using another computer, it all works just fine like it's supposed to. So, now I'm thinking that the problem is not with the program, but with the computer itself. AAAARRRGGHH!!! By now, my head is swimming with too much information about probable causes and fixes, and I'm losing track of which rabbit holes I've gone down and which ones I haven't. I find myself running in circles. That's when I come crying to Mr. Excel to help make it all better.

Not only do I miss being able to use the workbook on my newer computer, I'd also like to (someday) be able to offer the thing as a product for other users. So, I can't have any corruption hidden in it. Does anyone know what has happened? -why this happened? -how to remedy the problem? -ensure against it occurring in the future?

Thanks in advance for the help! Mr. Excel has always been able to help me, and so has become my "go-to" when I'm at wit's end.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
What i would do is recreate the workbook. They do get corrupted sometimes. Sorry thats probably going to take some time. Start with the userforms. See if you can export and then import them into the new book and use them without error.

Upvote 0
I would start by searching your computer for FRMCACHE.DAT, Excel.box and and .exd files and delete them (make sure to include hidden files and folders in the search). Then try opening the workbook again.

If that still doesn't work, try disabling all macros before opening the workbook and see if that lets you get the workbook open to export the VB components as Steve suggested.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice. I have searched, found, and deleted FRMCACHE.DAT and Excel.box files - there were no .exd files. Tried to open the workbook again - same results; problem persists.
Out of curiosity, I tried to create a userform in a completely new workbook. At this, I was met with "Microsoft Visual Basic Component not correctly registered." I don't even know what that means because all my Office programs were installed via CD, complete with user product key. Besides, the workbook had operated properly for over a year without any registry problems. Why would a registry problem arise out of nowhere? Also besides, the workbook operates properly on several other computers. How come there's a problem on only the one machine? - And with only Excel? - I can create userforms and VB in Word & Powerpoint.
Does this make any difference in diagnosing the problem?
Even if I can't fix the problem and have to recreate the entire workbook, I'd really like to know what the problem is and how it arose. Anybody got any theories or guesses?
Thanks again for any suggestions.

I would start by searching your computer for FRMCACHE.DAT, Excel.box and and .exd files and delete them (make sure to include hidden files and folders in the search). Then try opening the workbook again.

If that still doesn't work, try disabling all macros before opening the workbook and see if that lets you get the workbook open to export the VB components as Steve suggested.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue and while I've not yet found the answer I thought you might be interested to know; this problem affects my workbook macros but only when I run them on one user account on my PC, try moving the workbook to a USB drive and opening it from another user account. In my case, it works perfectly.

Upvote 0
Hi MeisterConrad - Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem. Macros and Userforms operate fine on other computers but not mine. I have tried reinstalling repairing etc. but no joy. Other than your post I haven't really found the same problem online elsewhere and definitely no solution. I do not have the option to rebuild the userforms I need, because I can't insert a new one, never mind get / import old ones. I'm hoping beyond hope that you found a solution.

Upvote 0
Hi, I got the same problem as well. I'd tried reinstalling office a couple of time ( including clean install ) but no hope. I'm thinking anything to do with recent windows update...
Every time after I click "ok" to the error message, it asks to recover the file and then it will remove all the vbas.

Upvote 0
The only solution I found was to reinstall Windows. Using 'Defender' and the 'Fresh Start' option (that keep your documents in place).

Upvote 0
Hello all. Yes, I also ended up having to "Reset" or "Refresh" my computer (which I'd never done before, so was rather scary). Make sure you save your outlook .pst file, in case that goes astray. I lost a lot of settings, had to reinstall some programs, etc. but ultimately, once finished, Excel files with macros were operational again. Seems that Userforms were the source of the problem, but I did not find a way to fix that, other than resetting. (In Windows 10, look under Settings / Recovery for "Reset this PC").

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back