Trying to use cell value as part of file path.

cameronnicol

Apologies for the noobiness, I'm a CAD technician who's been roped into helping with some excel stuff. I'm trying to accomplish this using functions as I haven't used VBA before (although I'm open to trying it out).

Problem:

I have a 'master' workbook that contains hundreds of sheets, each with an order number in cell A1. Each order has it's own workbook and the 'master' workbook has a sheet for each order. These sheets contain cells that are linked to the orders own workbook. I would like to be able to update the file path for each linked cell by just changing the value in A1.

At the moment I have something like this in each linked cell:
=C:\Orders\101\[101 - Checklist.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$10

What I would like is something like this:
=C:\Orders\(A1)\[(A1) - Checklist.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$10

Where (A1) would be an instruction to copy the order number and paste it into the file path.

I've tried recording a macro to do this, but it always copied the same order number into the file path, instead of copying it from A1. I've also used the find and replace method, but as I'm going to be handing this onto colleagues once completed, I'd rather keep it as simple as possible, so just typing the order number into A1 would be ideal.

I've looked around for solutions but I'm having no luck. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Perhaps ="C:\Orders"&indirect(a1)&"\["&indirect(A1)&" - Checklist.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$10"

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response Arthurbr!

Unfortunately it's giving me a #REF ! error.

I've also just tried =CELL("contents",A1) in place of the file name, as I haven't seen that suggested anywhere. But I'm assuming that function can only be used to populate a cell, not a file path.

Upvote 0
OK I forgot a backslash ="C:\Orders\"&indirect(a1)&"\["&indirect(A1)&" - Checklist.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$10"

Upvote 0
With an apostrophe ="'C:\Orders\"&indirect(a1)&"\["&indirect(A1)&" - Checklist.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$10"

Upvote 0
Try.
Note Indirect only works on open workbooks so XXX-Checklist.xlsx will need to be open or you will get a REF error.

Code:
=INDIRECT("'C:\Orders\"&A1&"\["&A1&" - Checklist.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$10")

Upvote 0
Try.
Note Indirect only works on open workbooks so XXX-Checklist.xlsx will need to be open or you will get a REF error.

Code:
=INDIRECT("'C:\Orders\"&A1&"\["&A1&" - Checklist.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$10")

Thanks for the suggestion Scott, the indirect function works perfectly, but it's not ideal in this situation. I'd like it to be able to pull information through without the workbook being open as staff will be dealing with a lot of different orders. Essentially, one department will be updating the 'Order Checklist' workbooks and another department will be using the master workbook.

I'm beginning to think this isn't possible though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back