relative hyperlinks

zoey2

I am creating an excel sheet for a client and it has many picture names hyperlinked to actual pictures. The problem I have is the I don't know where the client is storing the pictures. So Joe could store them on a network drive and Bill could have them on an external drive and Carol could store them on her c drive. So I need the client to be able to easily change the hyperlinks ( there could be 200 or 300 hyperlinks to pictures so manually changing them is not an option) I would like to have a cell on the excel sheet show the path to the pictures then have either
1. If the path changes automatically change all the hyperlinks or
2. Have the excel sheet save the hyperlinks to only the picture name ie HYPERLINK( "pic.pdf", "picname" ) and when the user clicks on the pictures it appends the path from the cell that contains the path.

Are either of these possible?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hi, welcome to the board!

As an alternative suggestion, you could use the HYPERLINK() worksheet function to generate the hyperlinks - for example:

Excel 2013/2016
AB
1Pathc:\program files
3Pic NameHyperlink
4Pic1.pdfClick here to open Pic1.pdf
5Pic2.pdfClick here to open Pic2.pdf
6Pic3.pdfClick here to open Pic3.pdf
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B4=HYPERLINK($B$1&""&A4,"Click here to open "&A4)

Upvote 0
Sorry I'm a little confused. If they click on cell B4 what path to the picture will be used. Joe may want it to use "c:\program files\pic1.pdf" but fred may want to change B1 to say "h:\pics" then when fred clicks on B4 it loads "h:\pics\pic1.pdf"

Upvote 0
Sorry I'm a little confused. If they click on cell B4 what path to the picture will be used.

Hi, in my specific example the path is stored in cell B1.

EDIT: The formula should be:

=HYPERLINK($B$1&"\"&A4,"Click here to open "&A4)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm trying it and when I click on B4 I get the open files/folder dialog it is at location "c:\program files" but then I have to find the picture I want to open. It didn't add the file name.

Upvote 0
I have one more question for you, I would like to have more than one link in a cell. I realize the only way to do this is to create text boxes but the hyperlink does not work in a textbox. Do you know a work around.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back