Excel suddenly began saving files on close without prompts

Hawkdl2

This is a new behavior I can't explain. I have no macros (that I am aware of), no add-ons, and am using workbooks that I've had for months. I often test changes to data or formulas to see what might happen then close the file without saving so no permanent changes are made. Now, when I close the file it automatically saves my changes without a prompt. How do I get it to revert to the more standard prompt asking if I want to save my changes?

Larry

I didn't realize there was that property for workbooks. I suppose you'd change it in all workbooks the same way you did in that one.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
It seems MS recently "fixed" a problem with Office 365 that did not set autosave to "on" for cloud-stored files. The fix defaults the setting to "on" and there is no way to turn it off globally - it has to be turned off for each workbook, though once turned off it will remember that setting for that file. There's a little button on the upper right of the Excel window's page to turn on or off the "auto save" feature. VBE is not needed. This solves the problem. The autoupdatefrequency value seems to be unrelated and applies only to the auto recovery feature, that is independent of the auto save feature.

And, no. autoupdatefreq rejects 5, 1, 10 and a few other values I tried as "invalid property values".

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moo4247

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back