Excel suddenly began saving files on close without prompts

Hawkdl2

This is a new behavior I can't explain. I have no macros (that I am aware of), no add-ons, and am using workbooks that I've had for months. I often test changes to data or formulas to see what might happen then close the file without saving so no permanent changes are made. Now, when I close the file it automatically saves my changes without a prompt. How do I get it to revert to the more standard prompt asking if I want to save my changes?

Larry

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Do you have any macros that are turning "DisplayAlerts" off, but not back on? Check the "ThisWorkbook" Excel object in the VB editor for macros that may be auto saving your workbook.

Upvote 0
While I am not particularly familiar with either macros or the VB editor, I did take a look and there are no macros that I can find.

Upvote 0
How consistent is the issue? Does this occur with other workbooks? Do you run any macros in other workbooks?

Upvote 0
I happens all the time now. I created a new workbook and it did the same thing. I learned a bit more about macros and noticed that the value for autoupdatefrequency is set to "0". It seems like that would mean any changes I make are immediately saved - not what I want. However, I get an "invalid value" error when I try to change it to anything other than "0".

I don't know much about these macros, but I don;t see any others that might impact this auto save feature.

Upvote 0
I just checked another older workbook I've been using for several years and it now exhibits the same behavior. I have no idea when this started happening, but not too long ago I would get a save prompt if I made changes.

Upvote 0
I don't believe the autoupdatefrequency would be the culprit, but I did read it is supposed to be set between 5 and 1440 on shared workbooks. Give this a shot and see if it fixes anything:

In the VB Editor, open up the immediate window if it isn't up already (Ctrl+G). Put this code in that immediate window and with the cursor at the end of that string, press Enter:
Code:
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

After that, go ahead and test again to see if that fixed the issue.

Upvote 0
It wont let me change the value for autoupdatefrequency. I tried the code you suggested in the immediate window, but it doesn't appear to have any affect.

Upvote 0
Try giving the autoupdatefrequency a value of 5. Some report problems setting it to anything other than 5

Do you have a personal.xlsb file? The only way I know of to have a workbook autosave is with VBA. If it's not VBA, then my only suggestion would be to reinstall Excel.

Upvote 0
I fixed the problem by changing the autosaveon variable to False. It seems this variable defaults to true when files are stored on Onedrive, as mine are, and creates this behavior. I gather this is considered a good thing for cloud saved files because MS assumes they are there to be shared and worked on simultaneously by multiple people.

If I can figure out how to have this variable changed for all spreadsheets, I'll be set, but so far I don't see how to do it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back