Find Index Value of 2nd, 3rd, ect. Mentioned Value

jfulks13

Hello - I have data in columns A1:PQ1 and I need to find the position of several different letter/number combinations in the array. For example, when I use:

=MATCH("XVALS"&"*",$A$1:$PQ$1,0)

it returns 33 (corresponding to AG1). For the next search I can change $A$1 to $AE$1, but this complicates everything because the indexing does not match the original array. Any help?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Welcome to the Forum!

C3 (array-entered): =SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("XVALS",A$1:PQ$1)),COLUMN(A$1:PQ$1)-COLUMN(A$1)+1),ROWS(C$3:C3))

Excel 2010
ABCDEFGHIJ
1XVALS1XVALS2XVALS3XVALS4
Sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
StephenCrump - Thank you for your reply. When I try this, it returns #NUM !. I think it is because the "XVALS" I am looking for contains text. For examples cell AG1 and FV1 on my spreadsheet contain
"xvals:[0.005" and "xvals:[0.0053"
Even though these are distinct, an issue arises when I run into the second "xvals:[0.005"

Thanks

Upvote 0
The formula in C3 needs to be array-entered, i.e. type the formula and hit the CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER keys together, rather than just ENTER.

Copy this formula down the column and you shouldn't get #NUM errors until you run out of found values.

You can wrap the formula in an IFERROR( ... , "") to suppress these errors.

Upvote 0
Still get #NUM error. I'm using Excel 2013 if that makes a difference. I entered it exactly as you did above, no luck. Also, I would like to avoid using array-enter because I will need to copy similar data into this template and I think it gives me issues when I try and change an array that is being referenced.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back