IF Formulas with AND and OR in them

NJS1982

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, does anybody know if it is possible to have a nested =IF formula, with AND and OR options? Or does AND always only provide a TRUE and FALSE return?

I am basically trying to say;
'If cell A,B,C,D contains something specific, and cell E contains either X or Y, then do this...'

It's a meaty formula that I have created, so don't ask me to paste it as it will confuse things!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
@NJS1982, the short answer is ... yes, you can use AND and OR within nested IFs.

However, rest assured that your formula won't go over people's heads here. It's always easier and more efficient to answer a question or provide a solution when we can see the formula or data set.

Upvote 0
OK, now there is a challenge! OK, this is my formula, which works...

=IF(AY5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AL5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AJ5," project, with a focus on beneficiaries from a BAME background."),
IF(AZ5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AL5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AJ5," project, with a focus on beneficiaries with a disability."),
IF(BA5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AL5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ","AH4","project, with a focus on younger beneficiaries."),
IF(BB5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AL5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AJ5," project, with a focus on older beneficiaries."),
IF(AND(AY5="",AZ5="",BA5="",BB5=""),"",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AL5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,,"'",". This project lists its main activity as ",AJ5,"."))))))

My challenge is to add in another check to see if the contents of cell AW5 are "Capital" OR "Mixed", or "Revenue" and not provide that additional text and retain the formula above. The formula I tried became really big, but it didn't work, I assumed because of the way I had mixed AND with OR (I did a classic Google search and came up scratching my head):

=IF(AND(AY5="Y",AT5="Revenue")),CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AL5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AJ5," project, with a focus on beneficiaries from a BAME background."),
=IF(AND(AY5="Y"(OR(AT5="Capital","AT5="Mixed")))),CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AL5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AJ5," project, with a focus on beneficiaries from a BAME background."," This project ists its activity as ",AV5," - ",AW5),
...then repeated in a similar fashion with the other four 'IF' formulas...

AT5 contains one of three choices of text; Capital, Revenue or Mixed.
AY5 either has a 'Y' or is blank
The other cells are all text cells, with specific categorisations, in this order:
AL4 = programme name,
D5 = project title,
AJ5 = sport type,
AV5 = building type and
AW5 = sub-facility type,
...the latter two being the missing fields in my original working formula, which are only relevant to Capital and Mixed, not Revenue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I may have cracked it myself...I had another post and somebody helpfully advised me about '(blank)' not being blank at all..another story entirely. But, my formula is:

=IF(AV5="(blank)",IF(AX5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AI5," project, with a focus on beneficiaries from a BAME background."),IF(AY5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AI5," project, with a focus on beneficiaries with a disability."),IF(AZ5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ","AH4","project, with a focus on younger beneficiaries."),IF(BA5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AI5," project, with a focus on older beneficiaries."),IF(AND(AX5="",AY5="",AZ5="",BA5=""),"",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,,"'",". This project lists its main activity as ",AI5,".")))))),CONCATENATE(IF(AX5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AI5," project, with a focus on beneficiaries from a BAME background."),IF(AY5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AI5," project, with a focus on beneficiaries with a disability."),IF(AZ5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ","AH4","project, with a focus on younger beneficiaries."),IF(BA5="Y",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,"'",". This project is a ",AI5," project, with a focus on older beneficiaries."),IF(AND(AX5="",AY5="",AZ5="",BA5=""),"",CONCATENATE("Funding under our organisations ",AK5," funding programme for a ",AT5," project titled ","'",D5,,"'",". This project lists its main activity as ",AI5,"."))))))," This funding has contributed towards a ",AV5," - ",AW5))

Upvote 0
@NJS1982, this formula is 10x longer than it needs to be.

I was working out a solution to your Post #3 , but now you've posted Post #4 , which has completely different column information; and I don't know what you mean by "'(blank)' [isn't] blank at all."

I'm happy to shorten this for you, but I'd need to know why the column information has changed and what you mean by the 'blank' comment.

Upvote 0
@NJS1982, see how this works in lieu of your most recently posted formula version:

="Funding under our organisation"&CHAR(39)&"s "&AK5&" funding programme for a "&AT5&" project titled "&CHAR(39)&D5&"."&CHAR(39)&" This project "&IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Y",AX5:BA5,0)),"is a "&CHOOSE(MATCH("Y",AX5:BA5,0),AI5,AI5,AH4,AI5)&" project, with a focus on "&CHOOSE(MATCH("Y",AX5:BA5,0),"","","younger ","older ")&"beneficiaries"&CHOOSE(MATCH("Y",AX5:BA5,0)," from a BAME background."," with a disability",".",".")," lists its main activity as "&AI5&"."&IF(OR(AV5="(blank)",AV5=""),""," This funding has contributed towards a "&AV5&" - "&AW5&"."))

Upvote 0
@NJS1982, as a general rule, when you find yourself repeating information in a cell, it can be condensed, leaving only the changing parts to ... well, change. And it's easier to add, remove or change optional items later if need be, when the formula stays as short as possible.

Glad the shortened version worked in context (never a given when there are that many moving parts).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back