Line Graph dropping to zero

jayemoh77

Board Regular
Hello,
I have a line graph with a date range of June 1, 2017 - December 31, 2018. There are no formulas. Each day a number is entered into a cell. From tomorrow through 12/31/2018 the cells are obviously empty. However, the line graph drops to zero and goes all the way to 12/31/2018. How can I get it to stop dropping to zero?

Thanks, Julie

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
From the ribbon Design tab or from the chart right-click context menu, choose "Select Data". in the popup window, lower left corner, click on the button "Hodden and Empty Cells". Next popup, select "Gaps" and then "OK: your way back to the worksheet.

Upvote 0
none of those solutions worked. I still have a line graph at 0 for dates that have yet to occur. thanks for your suggestions.

Upvote 0
Do you have a formula in your blank cells? What you are calling blank may not be what Excel considers to be blank.

With hidden and empty cell settings to show as gaps, the following formula will not work to create an unplotted point.
=IF(A9, 1000, "")

This should work to create an unplotted point.
=IF(A9, 1000, NA())

The empty string, "", is not considered to be blank: =ISBLANK(Cell_with_empty_string) returns FALSE.

But Excel will not plot #N/A.

Upvote 0
The cells are blank; no formula, nothing. The reason i have it charted (even though the day has not occurred) is because the users do not have access to edit the graph every day. They just populated the blank cell with a number.

Upvote 0
If the cells are truly blank, and if the Hidden and Empty Cells dialog indicates that Excel should plot blank cells as a blank, then the line will not drop to zero. Are you sure the cells are blank? They don't contain a space character, or even an empty string (""), which might happen if data from another application was pasted there?

Select the "blank" cells, and press Delete. Does the line still lie along the axis?

Upvote 0
I figured out the problem. In my chart I was using Stacked Line with Markers. I changed it to Line with Markers and it worked. thanks every one!! much appreciation!

Upvote 0
Oh, stacked line chart. I think a lot of times, people select it by accident, and then don't understand what they get. And now that you mention it, I remember seeing the behavior you asked about in a stacked line chart. maybe next time I'll remember early enough to answer the question.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back