Requirements for being able to use GETPIVOTDATA on a pivot table?

codeliftsleep

Board Regular
I have been looking for information on this and have not been able to find any. At least not the "rules" for getting this to work properly. I work with excel on a daily basis in a professional capacity and want to be able to use GETPIVOTDATA at times but some tables don't allow it and instead just give you the column cell number when you click on it.

It appears to be able to use it you need to have a column/row set up and have some sort of aggregation as well...but I don't always want that---sometimes I just want to display the data in a tabular layout, which won't let me use GETPIVOTDATA on it...

Can someone state the "rules" for being able to use GETPIVOTDATA and then also state the "rules" for being able to double click the column and have it open up into a new pivot table with just those records? This seems to be hit or miss also---sometimes the data allows it and other times it doesn't, even when I am using GETPIVOTDATA in the same way.
I am using Excel 2013, btw.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
just the settings AFAIK

ALT-T-O should get you to the Excel settings where you can change the get pivot data / normal cell references setting. or change via VBA. or custom toolbar settings (used to be toolbar, and ribbon in recent versions)

when available, drill down setting can be changed via pivot table options. so either right click (or keyboard equivalent) from a pivot table cell and toggle setting. or via VBA

cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back