Creating a Clock in Excel with

Cquake

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Could someone guide me in what steps I need to take to create a sports style countdown clock in excel using the following criteria.

1. Cell A5 for example would show the time left in a quarter ( Every quarter starts at 15:00 )
2. Cell A6 would be for entering an elapsed time to deduct from Cell A5 (After hitting enter it would then clear the box in A6 and also deduct from A5 to update the time left.

This would be repeated continuously until the clock hit 00:00 for each quarter. At the start of each quarter either manually enter that 15:00 to begin a new count down or have a re-set button that would reset it to that 15:00

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I modified my LED Display (see this Thread) to hopefully meet your needs. Here is the link to the file: Dropbox file

Let me know if this what you want, or if we need to tweak it a bit, or scrap it altogether and start anew.

Regards,

CJ

Upvote 0
Great looking clock and I have a few questions. Could that be modified to be able to manually inputted. For instance since I will be using this in an excel sheet for a board sports game I have and say a play takes off 35 seconds off the clock is there a way to modify it where instead of the start/ pause/ buttons are they could be replaced with buttons of 5, 7, 10, 12, 20, 22, 25, 30, 35, 40 and 45 button options options to deduct from the time shown on the clock after each play? The football board game I am converting into a excel program for my own use uses those time incriments for plays depending on situations and results. BTW, can the font sizes be changed also.

Thanks for you help as it is really appreciated.

Upvote 0
I saw your (very ambitious) project in your other thread after I worked on this and I'm not sure that we can really make my clock fit to.your project. It is possible to scale the clock, but at a certain point it just won't look very good. You can manually alter my clock by pausing it, changing the values of B1 and B2, then hitting start again. And adding commandbuttons to subtract specific time amounts is very do-able (although I would use a combobox for this instead).

I will take another look at your application when I get some time later this weekend and try to come up with a better solution.

CJ

Upvote 0
I saw your (very ambitious) project in your other thread after I worked on this and I'm not sure that we can really make my clock fit to.your project. It is possible to scale the clock, but at a certain point it just won't look very good. You can manually alter my clock by pausing it, changing the values of B1 and B2, then hitting start again. And adding commandbuttons to subtract specific time amounts is very do-able (although I would use a combobox for this instead).

I will take another look at your application when I get some time later this weekend and try to come up with a better solution.

CJ

Thanks appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I found an error in how I was calculating the time in my original Countdown Clock: I was inadvertently adding a minute and one second. If anyone is trying to use this please download the updated file instead: New Dropbox file

Cquake: I'm still working on this...

Upvote 0
Ok, so going backwards in time was a bit of a challenge. Who knew that time travel would be so difficult??

But I think I have something you can work with: Dropbox file

You'll have to move things around to where you need them and adjust the code accordingly, but it should work.

Let me know what you think.

CJ

Upvote 0
CJ

Thanks and I will get it downloaded when I get home from work later this morning. BTW, I did receive a reply from a friend who stated the following:

"The concept is that you convert time to seconds. Formula is Time of quarter in seconds (15 minutes x 60 = 900 seconds ) minus time elapsed total. Save the variable for the time last play in seconds in case you have to roll back for something like an undo play. I would think that a single button in VBA code would work. Label it "Advance Clock" or whatever. Regardless a cell or label should be converted to the time format.

To be perfectly honest I understand only a little bit of that and am not sure how that would even be coded in VBA since I am not real familiar with VBA coding yet. I am learning but not sure how all that would be translated into the VBA. He does all his coding with Visual Basic.net as he is a game programmer. Just thought I would pass that on to you also of what he sent me.

Thanks for all your help in this and I as I stated I will download from your dropbox when I get home this morning.

Upvote 0
"The concept is that you convert time to seconds. Formula is Time of quarter in seconds (15 minutes x 60 = 900 seconds ) minus time elapsed total. Save the variable for the time last play in seconds in case you have to roll back for something like an undo play. I would think that a single button in VBA code would work. Label it "Advance Clock" or whatever. Regardless a cell or label should be converted to the time format.

I started going down this road but could never get the formatting to work properly. It's not the first time that Excel's way of handling time has confounded me. I would welcome any other suggestions for approaching this problem, but in the meantime, my method, though a bit convoluted, seems to work well.

Regards,

CJ

Upvote 0
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for the work you put into this. When I share this worksheet with some friends I will be sure to mention your input on this. Again thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back