Locking cells

apar93

I need to lock certain cells in a chart however I also need to be able to insert rows into this same chart. Is this possible.

Example:

Item
Qty
Price
Stapler
$50

<tbody>
</tbody>

Take this chart as an example. I have locked the price cell as it contains a formula I do not want changed. I need to be able to copy the row (formulas included) and insert additional lines. It seems I cannot this when I lock the price cell. I hope this makes sense. Help please!

Hi Rick, I got this to work. Thank you for your help.
I have one more question. Is there a way to "hide" the formulas in the column that is being locked, so that no one else can see them?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I have one more question. Is there a way to "hide" the formulas in the column that is being locked, so that no one else can see them?
Please clarify... are you asking if it is possible to display the results of the formulas in the cells in Column C but not let anyone see the underlying formulas themselves... or are you wanting to hide everything (formulas and results of those formulas) from the user?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would like to hide the underlying formulas but not the result.
I cannot think of a way of hiding the formulas, but not the formula results, directly, but I can think of an indirect way. Insert a column next to Column C (that inserted column will become D). Put this formula in cell D1 and copy it down...

=C1

then hide Column C, apply the code I gave you earlier to Column D instead of Column C and finally, protect the worksheet against structural changes.

Upvote 0
Hi Rick,
I've stumbled on a problem while using your code... I cannot copy and insert rows, which is what I was trying to avoid! Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back