Add print button to worksheet to print selected cells as a PDF document

BlissC

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

This is no doubt ridiculously easy if you know VBA, which I don't - I'm a complete beginner to VBA!

I've searched the web generally, and of course this forum first, and haven't been able to find anything that completely fits my situation. I've set up a spreadsheet that allows my team to record their time on a daily basis and allocate it to different projects, which then automatically completes a monthly sheet showing their worked time and how it's allocated. It's these monthly summaries of their time allocation that I want them to be able to print to send to the team manager.

What I'm trying to do is to add a print button to each worksheet to print the monthly time allocation sheet, a selected area of the sheet, as a PDF document. I've found the following code to print a selection, but can't find anything that saves to a PDF rather than to print.

Code:
[COLOR=#E56717][FONT=Consolas][B]Sub[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Consolas] PrintSomeCells()[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#141414][FONT=Consolas]Range([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Consolas]"A1:I40"[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#141414][FONT=Consolas]).PrintOut[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#8D38C9][FONT=Consolas][B]End[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#E56717][FONT=Consolas][B]Sub[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

Additionally, I'd like the selection to be fitted on one page (probably in landscape orientation rather than portrait). The users of the spreadsheet all have a PDF print driver installed on their PCs if that makes any difference.

I've figured out how to assign a macro to an object on the page to use as a print button, but it's the VBA code for the macro I'm struggling with. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bliss

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Just an update on this problem in case anyone else trying to do the same thing is looking for a solution. After scouting around some more online I found a site with a step-by-step guide on saving Excel as a PDF which includes a list of the PageSetup object properties and an explanation of what they do.

https://powerspreadsheets.com/save-excel-file-pdf-vba/

With a bit of cutting and pasting of bits of various code examples I came up with the code below. This simply creates a PDF of the selected cells in landscape format, fitting the cells onto 1 page and opens the resulting file to view. I simply assigned the macro to a rectangle shape on the page to create a button so the user can save their timesheet for each month as a PDF and view the page, and it's all working great.

Code:
Sub Save_Timesheet_As_PDF()

With ActiveSheet.PageSetup
    .CenterHeader = "Time Allocation Sheet"
    .Orientation = xlLandscape
    .PrintArea = "$A$1:$I$40"
    .Zoom = False
    .FitToPagesTall = 1
    .FitToPagesWide = 1
End With

ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat _
    Type:=xlTypePDF, _
    Filename:="Time Allocation Sheet", _
    Quality:=xlQualityStandard, _
    IncludeDocProperties:=False, _
    IgnorePrintAreas:=False, _
    OpenAfterPublish:=True

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back