I've got a tough one for some math experts.. :)

figuare9

Board Regular
So.. I'm trying to create something in excel that can help us keep track of cutting fabric. Let's say I started out with a 500' X 72" roll of fabric. and then let's say I start to make cuts on it.

So let's say I cut off 130' by 40" wide. It would leave me with 370' X 72" and then a remainder of 130 X 32" left on the roll.. Then I'm left with a roll that (hypothetically if I were to unroll it) would look like this...

m88rFxR.png

So then this is a basic example.. But it gets much more complicated then this.. Which is basically where I completely lose my marbles.. So after I make my first cut, I need to make many more cuts at different lengths and widths. So now I might need to cut a 60 inch wide piece, or a 36 inch wide, etc.. All at different lengths as well.

It's all math in it's simplest form, but it gets to be really confusing for me after the first cut. I'm trying to set up a table in such a way where we can just enter in our starting data.. "Length X Width" and then elsewhere enter in our cuts and have excel take care of the rest. Cut 1, Cut 2, Cut 3, etc, etc.. So that way I can see a running tally on what lengths by what width I have available out of the roll.

Any takers? :) ha!

... Please I'm desperate!~

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
This is similar to a problem I have in woodworking where I need to cut cabinet parts out of sheets of plywood. I use a product called CutList Plus which costs around $89 but is well worth it. There are other freeware products available though I haven't used or evaluated any of them. I do use Custlist Plus and it seems to be flexible enough to do what you are asking. If you need more specifics on this product let me know.

Upvote 0
I've taken a look at that already tbh. But when you're dealing with the lengths we are it adds a good level of frustration some rolls are 1200 feet long. . If I'm able to, I'd really prefer to stick with excel. But I might keep an eye out as a last resort. Thank you though for the reply!!

Upvote 0
It's a length measurement based on the size of the roll. Unfortunately for me, I can't use it. I already know my starting lengths. I'm looking to track measurements after cuts. :( Not entire lengths of rolls. But it's kinda close! lol. Thanks for the reply though! I really do appreciate you taking the time to help.

Upvote 0
So... I've gotten something worked out that "KIND OF" works.. but it's only working for the first cut I make.

9snLj4s.png

But I can' figure out what o do with my following cuts. Let's say I want to take 40 feet of 36 inch from that 50' piece remaining.. I can't seem to have excel take what I can from the right width.

Upvote 0
No takers? lol.. I tried to make a multiplication table today without any luck. . Still pretty stumped here. Surely there's a formula that could check a cut, see what's left, and adjust accordingly?.. i hope.. lol

Upvote 0
One last bump. I'm sure there's someone out there that knows a good way to track what's left on a roll after making cuts in it. VBA maybe?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back