Referring to a cell with a Discount Code

walkingman

Board Regular
Happy New Year to everyone!

I have a question that is centered around a policy-change, whereby, a worksheet that had a discount that used to apply to all items in a column (general discount, and therefore, quite easy to write) that now excludes items that are "services based".

I have all discount codes in a drop down list and what I'm working to do is nest "If" functions to check and see if, for instance $E$40 contains (for a simplified explanation) "Discount 10%".

Because I need to exclude "Services" related items, I'm working, specifically, to isolate the items that ARE able to be discounted (e.g. Property and Taxable Merchandise". Those items are referred to in a table that is out of "print range" and I'm not having any luck with the nested "IF" functions.

Sorry for the long explanation. I'll work to input specifics:

In E23, I have a dropdown list, as I have in E24,E25, and E26. If something is selected from the dropdown list, or if "Other Taxable Merchandise" there are functions that refer thusly: (this is a formula in P23)

=IF($E23="","",IF($E23="Other Taxable Merchandise",$H$27,VLOOKUP($E23,MerchandiseTable,2,0)))

What I need to do is refer to $E$40 for specific text, and if the specific text "Discount 10%" shows, I need the number that is returned by the VLOOKUP to be discounted by 10% or .1. I have the tax calculations based on the number so-returned in P23.

I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hi all.
I went another route. It's a kind of "cobbed together" solution, but it works. Sadly, I don't have the time to learn all of the functionality that I've asked for, however, the solution that works, works.

Thanks for any consideration today, everyone.

Upvote 0
I am glad you figured something out.

Sometimes, they issues can be very hard to explain (and for us to understand) without being able to see the structure of your workbook and some data.
For future reference, while you cannot upload files to this site. But there are tools you can use to post screen images. They are listed in Section B of this link here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-a...forum-use.html. There is a Test Here forum on this board that you can use to test out these tools to make sure they are working correctly before using them in your question.

Some people will also upload files or images to file sharing sites and provides links here, but just note that many people cannot (or will not) download files from the internet due to security concerns.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Joe4!

The group here has helped me before, and for the life of me, I could not find my old notes and I think my inactivity caused my email to expire.

I always appreciate the assistance from the forum!

Kind regards!

Upvote 0
The group here has helped me before, and for the life of me, I could not find my old notes and I think my inactivity caused my email to expire.
If you remember your username or email address on the account, please let me know via Private Message, and I will merge the old account in to this one, so you will have all you posts together in a single account.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back