calculate minute value for each "m" in column

solidENM

Board Regular
Hello,
I am working on a formula that will count how many drill taps are needed on a worksheet, and return an estimated time value. Column B is qty of pieces. Column F is the type of taps. I am figuring 2 mins per tap, so row 1 would be 4 minutes, and row 2 would be 12 minutes. total below would be 16 minutes.

QTY.DescriptionTap
2poplarm12/-
3oakm12/m12

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I thought sumifs would work, but its not accounting for the second possible tap in column c.
=SUMIFS(A:A,C:C,"*m*")
results in 5 (2*1 + 3*1)
when it should be 2*(2*1) + 3(2*2) = 16

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I think I may have figured it out.

=SUMIFS(A:A,C:C,"*M*")+SUMIFS(A:A,C:C,"*/m*")

I just split the sumifs into two statements. I did some cross checking to verify the numbers were being double counted, and didnt find anything on my brief test. Second statement looks for */M*, and its possible (but unlikely) that column C may contain -/m12.

Can anyone recommend any input to squish out possible duplicates from instances like this?

Upvote 0
would it not just be
Sum of the qty * 2

2 minutes per tab

qty 2 in row = 2* 2 = 4
qty 3 in row = 3* 2 = 6

10mins

Upvote 0
Hi Etaf, row 3 would have 3 total pieces, with 2 taps each. 3pieces * 2 taps *2mins = 12. I am trying to assign 2 minutes for each "M" that is found in column C, and multiply that by the qty of pieces in column A. Sumifs was not accounting for multiple instances of "M" in column C.

Upvote 0
does that work OK for you
=SUMIFS(A:A,C:C,"*M*")+SUMIFS(A:A,C:C,"*/m*")

otherwise have a helper column
and in
D2
put
=2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"m","")))

then total

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
Thanks for the help. Both of your options are working for this. I think we may have to go the "helper column" etaf mentioned. The secondary /m works for this case, but I will still have other modifiers that will get tallied up like these taps. They are in more scattered configurations, to correspond with each face of a square.

Etaf, is it easy to modify the len statement to do the same thing with multiple letters? I would need "M" and "D" to function the same. I can probably figure out how to get all those numbers summed, provide the value then erase the helper column with a macro.

QTY.DescriptionEnd FinishNotes
2poplarm12/-
3oakm12/m12
4poplarm12-d8/d8-d8
2oakm12-d8/m12-d8

<colgroup><col><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
is it still 2 mins for a D
i would just add
=(2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"m",""))))+(2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"d",""))))

Upvote 0
As long as your single entry items always end with a dash, this formula should work for you...

=2*A2*(1+LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"/",""))-(RIGHT(C2)="-"))

Upvote 0
As long as your single entry items always end with a dash, this formula should work for you...

=2*A2*(1+LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"/",""))-(RIGHT(C2)="-"))
Actually, I just noticed that you indicated each tap starts with an "m". Given that, this shorter formula should also work (the dash requirement no longer applies for this formula)...

=2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"m","")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back