Restricting access/what can be seen

SPT Suzy

Hi there,

I have a master sheet that other people need to access to read certain rows, but only the information relating to them. How can I restrict what some people see?

The master is in a private folder but I have locations that are available to the other people for some sort of look up of the master. A standard look up wont work as will leave blank rows when its not for their viewing and a filter doesn't update when new information is added to the master.

Data is currently in a table with filters on the titles of each column including a note for who is entitled to see that line of data.

I hope this make some sort of sense :).

Suzy

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Do the people viewing the data need to be able to make changes to their data or add rows to the master?
Do you know the user name for all of the people (maybe part of the "note for who is entitled to see that line of data")?

Upvote 0
Do the people viewing the data need to be able to make changes to their data or add rows to the master?
Do you know the user name for all of the people (maybe part of the "note for who is entitled to see that line of data")?

No they don't need to make any changes at all, just view.

I do know who needs access or at least the department that the belong to. There is a a column that specifies which department the data relates to.

Upvote 0
Could you implement some vba / macro code if I posted it here?

One solution would be to have a macro enabled workbook (xlsm) that would read from your master excel workbook and select only those rows with the users department in the "Department" column.

In your master workbook you'd need a new sheet that has the user names and their corresponding department name (that match up to the department names in the main data).

You up for it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back