Search cells in VBA for value

andrewb90

Hello all,

I feel like there should be a way to successfully do this, but I can't quite wrap my head around doing it properly. (I know I can do a very very long version to achieve what I want, but I'm trying to get better at writing more efficient code.)

Code:
If Sheets("Period" & P).Range("R" & R [COLOR=#ff0000]- 1[/COLOR]).Value = "yes" Then

Sheets("PDFPage").Range("L23").Value = Sheets("Period" [B][COLOR=#000080]& P-?)[/COLOR][/B].Range("B" & R).Value

Basically when the current row (defined as R) does not have the value of "yes" then I want to go backwards to find the next row (indicated in red) that has the value. Then I would need to find the corresponding date which would be in column b of the row. I wouldn't need to go back more than 10 rows, as a yes would appear well before that. In the event that a yes is not found, we could have a phrase "not found"

Now, there is one other condition, that I'm sure I could create separately, but if there is an elegant way to incorporate this, that'd be great.
Code:
If Sheets("PDFPage").Range("M1").Value <= 7 Then

If that value is 7 or less, then in the event that yes can't be found (which will only go back as far as 7 rows), then an alternate Else phrase would be needed.

Hopefully that makes sense. My thoughts were to try to do a loop that would step backwards by line, but as mentioned, I couldn't quite figure out how to incorporate what I wanted.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
This searches for the first "yes" value starting from row R and upwards 10 cells. If a match is found, it returns the date from column B of the matched row. I didn't understand the "other" condition.

Code:
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] rngYes  [color=darkblue]As[/color] Range

[color=darkblue]With[/color] Sheets("Period" & P).Range("R" & R - 9).Resize(10)
        [color=darkblue]Set[/color] rngYes = .Find(What:="Yes", _
                           After:=.Cells(1), _
                           LookIn:=xlValues, _
                           LookAt:=xlWhole, _
                           SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                           SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
                           MatchCase:=False)
    [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]With[/color]

[color=darkblue]If[/color] [color=darkblue]Not[/color] rngYes [color=darkblue]Is[/color] [color=darkblue]Nothing[/color] [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
        MyDate = rngYes.Offset(, -16).Value
        MsgBox MyDate
    [color=darkblue]Else[/color]
        MsgBox "No 'Yes' found.", , ""
    [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]

This uses the .Find method. See the link for an explanation.

Upvote 0
Perfect thank you!
That other condition, probably isn't important. It was intended just to provide a different message, if M1 had a value of 7 or less, as that would indicate the beginning of the sheet. But i made it work!:)

Upvote 0
One other question. I noticed that if the original row variable "R" has a value of yes, it will return with that, I need to start from the row previous to that. How would I adapt the code?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back