Formula for multiplying

Bioxed

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a problem as I am not to good in Excel and I don't know if this is even possible. But I want to multiply an entire column (column A for example) by the same number (for example 3). The problem is that only one cell contains information.

Let's say I only have the first cell in the column filled (so A1) with the number 2. The next cell under it (A2) should be 6 (because of the multiplication with the previous stated number 3), cell under that (A3) should be 18, under that it should be 54 and so on.

Is it possible to have Excel fill out the column for me? I would do it my self on the calculator and type in the numbers but I need about 800 or less cells filled out.

I hope someone can help, much love and thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
in a2

=a1*3

then fill down

Awesome! but does that mean I need to type in the cells anyway? I guess it's better than doing the calculations myself but I was thinking of something that would just fill out like 500 rows of a column.

Upvote 0
You could do it quite easily. Type =A1*3 in B1 and then drag that formula down. It wouldnt be long before you ran out of numbers though. Excel doesnt allow numbers to infinity.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back