Silverback1992

Dear All,

I'm using excel 2013 @ my workplace, and colleague asked me a question regarding VLOOKUP approximate match.

Now the way I learned it from Mike Girvin is that it looks through the list and finds the 1st value that is larger, jumps back 1 row and delivers wichever col_index_no you've given it.

My issue is the following:

ABCDE
10a
26845b6851=VLOOKUP(D2,A:B,2)
36894d
46851c

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'd expect that the formula entered in E2 will deliver "b". It looks through the list, the first larger number is 6894, it jumps back 1 and delivers "b".

Instead it is giving me a "c" as a result. If I change the table array to be A1:B4 it is giving me a "b".

If I take the original formula: =VLOOKUP(D3,A:B,2) and insert 1 empty row to A1, then it is giving me a "b" instead of a "c". If I enter another empty row before the table_array it changes back to giving me a "c".

I really don't know what is happening here.

Can someone please help?

Thank you very much.

Take care,

Silverback

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
If you omit the 4 argument VLOOKUP will find the closest match in the first column if it's sorted in ascending order.

Your first column isn't sorted in ascending order.

PS If I use =VLOOKUP(D2, A1:B4, 2) the formula returns 'b' and if I sort column A the formula returns 'c'.

Upvote 0
To add: normally I never highlight enter columns for no reason, I also sort the values ascending if doing vlookup approx. The reason for the example looking like this is that is the way my colleague had the issue in his workbook.

Upvote 0
If you omit the 4 argument VLOOKUP will find the closest match in the first column if it's sorted in ascending order.

Your first column isn't sorted in ascending order.

PS If I use =VLOOKUP(D2, A1:B4, 2) the formula returns 'b' and if I sort column A the formula returns 'c'.

Hi Norie,

Thank you. Can we say that if I don't follow the rules to do vlookup approx match. then my formula goes ape****? Or there's a deeper background for vlookup approx match that would explain why it calculates like that if I don't sort?

Take care,

Silverback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farhansadik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back