Average groups of non-zero cells

Markeus

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before in some way but I wasn't sure how to search it...

I have a column of data which has intermittent non zero values. I would like to average the groups of non zero values and need a dynamic formula for this as the rows of data are many. here is an example of the data:

<tbody>
</tbody>

I would like to average the first 6,5,4 and then the next 6,5,4,3 in a second column. I have 20k rows of data in reality and there is no pattern to how many rows appear in a grouping.

Thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi Markeus

I am by no means an expert, but I think you might be asking the impossible from a formula, and you probably need vb code to do what you are asking.

But to clarify, you are saying that all the data you want is in a single column? (i.e. you have numbers (including zeros) in, say, A1:A20000?)

If so, where would you want the results returned? In column B? And then, would you want the result to appear next to every cell that has a non zero value? Or just next to the first non-zero value in each group?

Finally, is there any other data available that might help us? For example, if each grouping of numbers represents figures for a single month or day, maybe a pivot table would be a good solution.

For me at least it was hard to understand what you're asking for. Sometimes explain why helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With data starting at A1 try this formula in B1 copied down to give an average on the last row of each group

=IF(AND(A2=0,A1<>0),AVERAGE(A1:INDEX(A$1:A1,IFERROR(MATCH(2,INDEX(1/(A$1:A1=0),0)),0)+1)),"")

Upvote 0
I have one request for a tweak to the formula barry...
I'd like to now average the data on a second column beside the "A". This column has data continuously and no zeros, but I still want to average only the data beside a group from the A column. for example

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now I would like to average the 7,6,5 in Column B beside the first grouping in Column A and then the 2,1,2,3 beside the second grouping of 6,5,4,3... and so on.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back