INDEX & MATCH Help For a Video Game Database

Xenith087

Good evening, everyone.

I'm attempting to put together an Excel spreadsheet that can keep track of my video game collection. In it, I have a table and slicers that can filter the collection by console (SNES, Xbox, etc.) and update the tallies at the top of the spreadsheet to reflect what has been filtered.

The trouble that I'm running into now is how to tell Excel to also display the most valuable game (either overall or by specific console) by name. This is what I was able to come up with:

=INDEX([Name:],MATCH(Inventory[[#Totals],[Top Game:]],[2018 Value:],0),)

Whenever the table is filtered, a helper column (Top Game:) returns the highest value game and the rest of the function returns the name associated with that value. It works well... until Excel runs into games that have the same value as another game. When that happens Excel returns a game name that is completely outside the filtered category.

I've been wracking my brain over this for nearly a week unable to find a solution. Is there some way to tell Excel to return the correct results? Or perhaps a way to tell Excel to not search the entire INDEX for a matching value, but only those in the selected filter or filters? Any help would be very deeply appreciated.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back