deleting data gives a #ref

janus67

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an excel 2007 file which over the years has grown to ~ 20 yrs of input data -- which is unnecessary now
so I deleted about 5+ years of input data ( dates & numbers) and assumed that Excel would restart from the oldest number now

not true -- all output columns are filled with #ref

how can I get rid of the older data and have Excel recalculate from the new "first " date?
without rebuilding the sheet from scratch

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
The #REF arises because you have formulas that refer to cells/columns/rows that have been deleted.
Before deleting, you need to review your formulas and make appropriate adjustments.

Upvote 0
The #REF arises because you have formulas that refer to cells/columns/rows that have been deleted.
Before deleting, you need to review your formulas and make appropriate adjustments.

Hi footoo, I thought that when I copy/pasted the formula from say Col1 throught to col 100 , that copied the formula into each cell--apparently not
when you say " appropriate adjustments" do you mean that I have to reintroduce the original formula to say Col1 & then copy again etc for each cell/page

I can do it for one of my sheets ( my own ) but another one has proprietary locked formulas that I can't do it with -- but I can just start up another copy with the shorter data anyway

Upvote 0
Without knowing what your data looks like or what formulas are involved, I am not able to make suggestions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back