Multiple Variable For Loop

JessP

Hello,

I've written thefollowing code to look at each cell in column C of Sheet2 that equals each cellin column C of Sheet1. Sheet1 values will show up multiple times in Sheet2, soI want it to loop until either there aren't any instances of the values matchingand column G being blank, or it finds one and changes the value in column G.After it either loops through the options or fills in Sheet1 column G, itshould move on to the next row in Sheet1.

It gives me a "Next without For" error on the Next t after the first End If. But if I take that away, it doesn't seem to loop correctly through all instances of the first i before moving on.

Code:
[FONT=Calibri]Dim i As Long[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim t As Long[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim N As Long[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim D As Long[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]N =Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]For i = 3 To N[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]D =Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]For t = 3 To D[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]IfSheets("Sheet2").Cells(t, 3) = Sheets("sheet1").Cells(i, 3)Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]    If Sheets("sheet2").Cells(t, 7) ="" Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]        Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i,5).Value = Sheets("sheet2").Cells(t, 8)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]        Exit For[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]    End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]    Next t[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Next i[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Next t[/FONT]

Do I need a Do Whileloop instead of For? Something like this, perhaps? Once (t,3) and (i,3) nolonger match and i needs to increase, it ends the sub, which makes sense, butI'm not sure how to fix it without it increasing every loop. This is my firstattempt, so if it's what I need, I'll gladly take any advice you can offer.

Code:
[FONT=Calibri]Dim i As Integer[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]i = 3[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Dim t As Integer[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]t = 3[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Do WhileWorksheets("Sheet2").Cells(t, 3) =Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(i, 3)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]    If Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(t, 7) ="" Then[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]        Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(i,5).Value = Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(t, 8)[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]    End If[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]    t = t + 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Loop[/FONT]

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
You had 1 too many Next t & the 1st fo which was in the wrong place, try
Code:
Dim i As Long
Dim t As Long
Dim N As Long
Dim D As Long

N = Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 3 To N
   D = Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
   For t = 3 To D

If Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(t, 3) = Sheets("sheet1").Cells(i, 3) Then
          If Sheets("sheet2").Cells(t, 7) = "" Then
              Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 5).Value = Sheets("sheet2").Cells(t, 8)
              Exit For
          End If
      End If
   Next t
Next i

Upvote 0
Oh, I see - thanks! Didn't realize switching the Next t and Next i would do that. Appreciate the help.

For efficiency purposes, is there a way to move on to the next i as soon as the values stop matching? The instances are all together, so it wouldn't miss any.

Upvote 0
There are certainly ways to speed things up, but as I don't fully understand you description of what is needed & it doesn't match what the code is doing.
Could you please have another go of explaining what you need?
Also are the col C values in sheet 1 unique?

Upvote 0
Thanks - I discovered it was something else entirely that was taking the code a long time to run.

However, it's still not actually working as anticipated, I just didn't notice yesterday. In Sheet1 col C the values are unique. In Sheet2 col C almost all of them repeat one or more times. In Sheet2 col F and G are two sets of dates - col F is when something should be complete and G is the actual date of completion once it's done. Sheet2 is already sorted first alphabetically by col C and then earliest to latest by col F. What I want in Sheet1 col E is the next uncompleted task (found in Sheet2 col H).

Currently it works for every item where there are no completed tasks, but not for those where some tasks are complete and some incomplete. I've played around with it some without success. Do you have any ideas for what's going wrong and how I can tweak it? Thanks!

Upvote 0
What signifies that the task is incomplete? Is col H blank?

Upvote 0
How about
Code:
Sub GetData()

Dim Cl As Range
   Dim Ws1 As Worksheet
   Dim Ws2 As Worksheet

Set Ws1 = Sheets("Sheet1")
   Set Ws2 = Sheets("Sheet2")

With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For Each Cl In Ws1.Range("C2", Ws1.Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
         If Not .exists(Cl.Value) Then .Add Cl.Value, Cl.Offset(, 2)
      Next Cl
      For Each Cl In Ws2.Range("C2", Ws2.Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
         If .exists(Cl.Value) And Cl.Offset(, 4) = "" Then .Item(Cl.Value).Value = Cl.Offset(, 5).Value
      Next Cl
   End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
That works - many thanks! How does CreateObject("scripting.dictionary") work? I've never seen that before.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back