Charts - combined column and line chart - removing gaps in data

JLarks

Hello,

I've been searching for a while, but I haven't seen something quite as complex as my question...

I'm trying to create a chart that combines columns and scatter/lines. I have an x-axis that is years, and I have a primary and secondary y-axis. I'm wanting to plot one data set to each y-axis, one as a column and the other as a scatter/line.

The secondary data has a continuous data set over years, but the primary data has only occasional years of data. The primary data keeps filling gaps with 0's and the option to "connect data points with line" is grey'd out, so I can't choose this. I don't really want to create a million points by manually interpolating between the points either (as it will then give me a million points instead of my 8 points).

Does anyone know how I can make this work?

Thanks,
Jordan

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I can't duplicate your problem. Without seeing a few lines of representative data it's difficult to suggest a solution.

I have a hunch that the blank cells in your data set are not truly empty. Do they contain formulas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back