Conditional Formatting of Approching Date Based on Date in Another Cell

jwest510

My team was so impressed with the results of my spreadsheet (thank you very much to forum members Tetra201, jtakw and etaf) they asked for a little more. I've seen many posts regarding formatting dates based using the TODAY formula but it's not quite working for me.

This question is for a spreadsheet that tracks the record retention dates of various documents. I would like to have the destruction date change font color when it is within 30 days of its destruction date.

So for example:

• In F5 there is a manually entered date of when the record was created.
  • In G5 there is a formula that produces an value (such as 3 or 7), based on input from B5, for the years a record must be retained.
  • In H5 there is the formula =EDATE(F5,G5*12)

Would someone help me with a Conditional Formatting formula that will allow me to change the date's font in H5 to red when it is within 30 days of H5's date?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
The key is to realize that Excel tracks dates as numbers, specifically the number of days since 1/0/1900. So to get the number of days between two valid dates, all you need to do is subtract them.
So, if you want to highlight cell H5 based on whether it is 30 days or less from the current date, you would use a Conditional Formatting formula like this:
Code:
=(H5-TODAY()) <= 30

Upvote 0
You are welcome. Glad I could help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back