Filling in cells based on value inserted on one previous cell

boakley

I am going to try and explain this the best way I can because I cannot seem to figure this out.

I have made two seperate tables on a different sheet, one table for score standards for female and the other table for score standards for males to use with VLOOKUP.

I want cell A1 to be a dropbox with the option to choose either male or female.

In cell A2, I would enter the amount of repititions completed by that male or female.

Once A2 has been entered, I would like to see the score auto filled in cell A3 using VLOOKUP to automatically fill in the score (1-100 points). But it would be conditional on whether male or female was chosen in A1 since the scores are different for male and female.

Essentially, the choosing of either male or female in cell A1 would be the deciding factor on which score table the computer uses to fill in the rest.

Is this possible?

Any help would be amazing!!!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I forgot to mention that after the choice of male or female was made in cell A1, cell A2 would actually be the age of that individual and those two things would be the deciding factor for everything else. I am so sorry that this may be some what confusing. But I am stumped. I hope someone can help me out here.

Upvote 0
=if(A$1="Male",vlookup(A$2,MaleSheet!A:B,2,false),if(A$1="Female",vlookup(A$2,FemaleSheet!A:B,2,false),""))

This assumes you have Male/Female in A1 and their age in A2, and will look up the reference on the correct data sheet depending on the content of A1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome! So would I have to put both equations in the cell so that the computer would know which one to look up?
For example:
=if(A$1=“Male”,vlookup(A$2,MaleSheet!A:B,2,false)
and
=if(A$1=“female”,vlookup(A$2,FemaleSheet!A:B,2,false)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back