handysmurf

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
OK ... I dont want to add two more places to enter information so I need to pull information from a particular cell. So the original information looks like this "11.559, 2.379" ... I planned to do this at some point so I was very careful to maintain that format. I just need to pull the two different numbers into two different cells.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Also... =IF(C5113="l",VALUE(MID(TEXT(U5113,"hh:mm:ss"),4,2))+VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(U5113,"hh:mm:ss"),2))/60,"") if the original number is over an hour this results in only 15.00 as the decimal. Is there a way to fix that for over an hour?

Upvote 0
handysmurf,

If cell A1 contains 11.559, 2.379

In B1 put the following formula: =TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(", "&$A1,", ",REPT(" ",100)),100*COLUMNS(A1:$A1),100))+0

In C1 put the following formula: =TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(", "&$A1,", ",REPT(" ",100)),100*COLUMNS($A1:B1),100))+0

Upvote 0
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(", "&$A1,", ",REPT(" ",100)),100*COLUMNS($A1:B1),100))+0

handysmurf
FWIW, the TRIM functions in the suggested formulas are not required as adding zero effectively forces a TRIM by converting to a number anyway.

In case you are interested, here are a couple of simpler formulas that I think should do the same job for you.
=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)+0
=REPLACE(A1,1,FIND(",",A1),"")+0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just a note for anyone that finds this in a search at some later time.... I had to change this to format the result as a number otherwise it wouldn't sum in a later cell. resulting formula: "NUMBERVALUE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(", "&$A1,", ",REPT(" ",100)),100*COLUMNS(A1:$A1),100))+0)"

Oddly the first one had to be formatted as numbervalue, the second did not.... Shrug

Upvote 0
just a note for anyone that finds this in a search at some later time.... I had to change this to format the result as a number otherwise it wouldn't sum in a later cell. resulting formula: "NUMBERVALUE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(", "&$A1,", ",REPT(" ",100)),100*COLUMNS(A1:$A1),100))+0)"

Oddly the first one had to be formatted as numbervalue, the second did not.... Shrug

handysmurf,

Nicely done. Glad that you were able to figure it out.

Have a great day, and, come back to MrExcel anytime.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike575

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back