Question on Filtering of multiple versions

pieter1987

Hi,

I have a question. I have an excel file with a long list of projects with versions of this list and I want to delete or hide all projects but the latest version. Is there a way to do this?

Below an example of the type over versioning. The idea is that I want to have a filter that takes all rows containing Project A 2.1, Project B 3, Project C and Project D (there are multiple rows having Project A 2.1 but I want them all to be filtered out except the once with Project A2 or A1).

ProjectVersion
A1
A2
A2.1
B1
B2
B3
C1
D1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you very much in helping me out with this struggle.

Best Regards,

Pieter

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
is the original project names are (A, B , C , D , ......) in this sequence or they have a different names ?

Upvote 0
is the original project names are (A, B , C , D , ......) in this sequence or they have a different names ?

They have different names. But a project always has the same name throughout the list. They are made up names by the project themselves. The idea is that version 1 and version 2 will never have a different name.

Upvote 0
I will assume that they are changing in irregular sequence , in this case you will put your first cell value A1 in C1

Then you will need to put this formula in cell C2 then drag and drop it down
=INDIRECT(ADDRESS((MATCH(C1,A:A,0)+COUNTIF(A:A,C1)),1))

Next you put this second formula in cell D1 then drag and drop it down as you did with the previous column
=MAX(INDIRECT("B"&(MATCH(C1,A:A,0)&":"&"B"&((MATCH(C1,A:A,0)+COUNTIF(A:A,C1)-1)))))

That's is it :)

Upvote 0
Hi Sasha99,
Thank you very much for your try. I am sorry but your formula gives an error. Could you please put it in the file form me and return it to me? I put it on wetransfer.
https://we.tl/QcxbrLncvA

So the idea is that it should let me filter automatically on the last version of a certain index number if there is only 1 version it should show this version and otherwise it should show the latest (there are more then 1 row with this last version but i removed the other data for privacy issues) available.

Thanks a dozen!

Best Regards,
Pieter

Upvote 0
Thanks very much, that is what I need!

However, one last question is it possible to keep the multiple rows that are related to this version? Because the data that is behind these rows, is partner related. They are projects with different project partners. Therefore I would like to keep all 2S01-001 with version 1 for example (so the row should keep the duplicates and also the data in the other columns). I added some of the extra data to the file in the link to give you an idea about the file https://we.tl/7TNb4HQXLZ (without providing detail about the organisations as this is privacy sensitive).

Thanks already for all your help!

Upvote 0
I create a new worksheet for the desired output , you will find the following in this worksheet
In first column i put the a cell reference for each row that contain the latest version of each index number
In second column i put the total number for the duplicated latest version of each index number
From Third to the last Column you will find the matching cell for each Unique Reference exist in 1st column

Note:: I renamed the Master sheet to "PartnerLevelStatistics" .. I Just write it again without space , if it renamed later , all formula used in worksheet should be amended

This take more than 2 hour to accomplish .. hoping it will be useful for you :)

Best Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back