IF formula help populate other fields

KiloHotel

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi,

I am trying to figure this one out, Hopefully someone can help me.

Basically I have a sheet like this:

Post NameAnnounce Desc.File codeAudio file code
Station 1Station 1_welcome112B76
Station 2Station 2_welcome + Dept.1009Y677

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have a separate sheet with all the post names and I am running a VLOOKUP formula for the "Post Names" column but what I need is to have whenever I put e.g Station 1 in to the "A" column that it will automatically populate columns B-D with the correct description, File code & audio file code, I have tried doing VLOOKUP for the other cells but the file is messy and puts in a lot of N/A & Blanks etc.

This sheet is going to cater for a whole route network and it would take months to type manually so hopefully someone has a smart IF formula that I just can't figure out.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Just do a test on your vlookup, use ISERROR, and if it is then put "" or whatever you want if it doesn't find what you are looking for, and then if it does find it (meaning it isn't an error) then do your same vlookup to return the actual values for B-D.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying,

I have no real issue with the N/A & Blanks as I can just use the search and replace for that, I have used the VLOOKUP on each of them cells and the issue lies when I drag down the auto populate down and the formula doesn't stick for whatever reason.

The formula used looks like this for Column B : =VLOOKUP(A1,'Announcements by Route'!B3:G5,2,FALSE)

But when I drag down it should follow but it doesn't for whatever reason, this is the formula on the 2nd row for eg. =VLOOKUP(A2,'Announcements by Route'!B4:G6,2,FALSE)

Upvote 0
Try this, if I am understanding your issue correctly:

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=if(IsERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,'Announcements by Route'!$B$3:$G$5,2,FALSE)),"",([/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]VLOOKUP(A1,'Announcements by Route'!$B$3:$G$5,2,FALSE)))[/COLOR]

Put that in your first cell, then drag down and see if it works or not. It should also replace the #N/A with just a blank now.

Upvote 0
Ah! It was the table array! It was changing when I was dragging down and not searching the top lines on the other sheet! I was losing a row of array on each row dragged down :mad::mad: This seems to have worked, I am going to work away at this now and hopefully it works, I will report back Philwojo :)

Upvote 0
No problem, I hope it works for you, but yes you just need to lock the range down if you don't want it to change.

Post back if you need more assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back